Shorter Oxford English
By MobiSystems, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary contains an incredible one-third of the coverage of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary and includes all words in current English from 1700 to the present day, plus the vocabulary of Shakespeare, the Bible and other major works in English from before 1700.
With new coverage of global English, as well as slang, dialect, technical, historical, and literary terms, and rare and obsolete words, the Sixth Edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary contains more than 600,000 words, phrases, and definitions, with coverage of language from the entire English-speaking world, from North America and the UK to South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and the Caribbean. It has been fully updated with 2,500 new words and meanings based on ongoing research at Oxford Dictionaries and the Oxford English Corpus.
• NEW! With the addition of a convenient Home page, a sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches you can delve right into the intricacies of English faster and easier than ever!
• NEW! Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate– A speech recognition and text-to-speech app separate from this dictionary, which you can download for Free from the App Store. Whether you’re travelling or simply want to optimize your study of English, the great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 10.0.3
* iOS 11 support!
* Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Stop pestering me for reviews!
Enjoy this app. It's a dictionary in my pocket, what's not to love. If it was as good as google at figuring out my atrocious spelling it would be near perfect.
But after every update it wants a review. When all I want is to open my dictionary and get on. Get out of my space, or at the least reduce it to a bar that can be ignored or noted as appropriate to my time frame. Hogging the whole page isn't clever or cool.
I see this is still not fixed. Also sharing to Facebook doesn’t work. Just left with oddly unaccompanied comments on a definition that isn’t there.
Shorter Oxford Dictionary
I have deducted one star because of the frequent demands for a review, which cannot be switched off.
Also loses a star because the app's guide to pronunciation is inadequate.
Now, 8 months after rating the app, each time I use it, I am asked to rate it 5 Stars. Perhaps I should reduce my rating to 2 stars....
Great dictionary, annoying demand for rating
I share the disappointment and irritation of so many other reviewers about the constant begging for a 5 star review. Looking at the review history, I am amazed that the developers have not removed it. Why ruin the sales of an otherwise good product?
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 18 October 2017
- Version: 10.0.3
- Size: 139 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Developer: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2017 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.