GPS Navigation (Sat Nav by skobbler)
By skobbler GmbH
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** The next generation of navigation and maps: The best-selling app for iPhone and iPad with an all-new design ***
GPS Navigation from skobbler - 3 full-fledged apps in one:
Top-rated navigation with voice prompts (turn-by-turn)
Wiki travel guide
You get all this even if you are offline.
skobbler NGx cutting-edge map technology.
Various search functions. Different map styles. Different route modes.
It is quite a package.
FULL-FLEDGED NAVIGATION FOR VEHICLES AND PEDESTRIANS, ONLINE OR OFFLINE
* Gives you full-fledged turn-by-turn navigation. Functionalities such as speed warnings, street sign displays, 3D-view (isometric) and much more are of course included. All these functionalities are available online and optionally offline (see below).
ONE WORLDWIDE MAP RATHER THAN A WHOLE LOAD OF SMALL MAPS, ONLINE OR OPTIONALLY OFFLINE
* With GPS Navigation you no longer have to worry about finding your way. No need for paper maps. No matter where you are or where the journey takes you, the OpenStreetMap can be used anywhere.
You can decide whether you want to use it online of offline. The entire map is always available online. You can also enhance the app for offline use with almost 1000 additions (cities, countries, continents). Download the respective area (ideally via Wifi). Once installed, you will always have it with you, even without an internet connection. And you’ll be able to make full use of all major features. Country maps always include all cities and their street plans or city maps. The map is always seamless. You never have to switch between several maps.
SKOBBLER NGX TECHNOLOGY: TOP GRAPHICS, ROUTE CALCULATIONS, VARIOUS PRESENTATION TYPES AND NO OFFLINE HALF-MEASURES
* GPS Navigation includes skobbler's innovative NGx map technology. You get maps that look great and move, zoom and rotate with unrivaled ease. Simply touch the map for slightly longer to interact with individual points on the map. You will never get blurred images or useless empty 'map-loading' tiles.
Instead, you get different map styles (e.g. night, outdoor) and a route planner for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists. Something else you won't find anywhere else: all functions can be used both online and offline (in installed map areas).
- Full-fledged navigation with voice prompts (turn-by-turn)
- Completely interactive OpenStreetMap (OSM)
- One single map with global coverage
- Can be enhanced within the app for offline use of all major functions
- Full functionality with and (after installation) without Internet connection (online and offline)
- Ability to install whole countries including their city maps (Wifi recommended)
- Continuous free map updates
- Extensive Wiki travel guide
- Powerful map technology (NGx)
- Route planner (vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists)
- Various map styles (e.g. night, outdoor)
- Various search facilities
- Convenient favorites lists
- Optional synchronization of favorites with the web portal maps.skobbler.com
! Please note that as with all navigation apps, continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Traffic regulations and current road situations always precede skobbler’s directions!
What's New in Version 5.0
We have completely redesigned GPS Navigation for this version. As of now, it is based on our innovative NGx map technology. It‘s quite simple: the app just got even better (and prettier) in every way.
We wish you lots of fun with our GPS Navigation.
Please do us a favor and rate the app. We can’t wait to find out, how you like the new version.
Your skobbler team
Are the days of my Garmin numbered?
I downloaded this app with the offline GB maps over a year ago and have used it several times. I Lost my Kitt voice during the last upgrade but who cares as the functionality of the navigation is excellent. I wouldn't say it's ever going to be as 100% accurate with the verbal directions as an off the shelf Garmin or TomTom (I have twice experienced it saying to turn left when the map is clearly showing a right turn) but the map has always been correct and has found the address (I just ignored the voice on those two occasions). Also I haven't always agreed with the chosen route (although I find that with any SatNav) bit since the last update you now get three alternatives to chose from which is much much better. Probably the best thing I can say about this App is that since I have purchased and used it I no longer keep my Garmin in my glove box as if I find I need to go somewhere unexpectedly that I don't know, I know I can rely on this app in conjunction with a bit of common sense to get me there without any problems and I think the days of my Garmin are numbered. Just make sure you can charge your phone or it is fully charged as the App eats battery life (my fully charged IPhone 4 will last about 1.5 to 2 hours running the navigation before it needs charging again).
Update ruined this app
I bought this app over a year ago and was extremely happy with it. The graphics display was great, with a vertical sidebar on the right that gave you all of your speed and ETA info - great feature. I used it all the time and was so impressed particularly considering how little it cost. Recently I also bought a new car stereo with USB. To my delight, I found that the app worked with my stereo, allowing me to simultaneously charge/play music from my phone with music dipping in volume for voice directions. This for me made it a lot better than using a standalone sat nav device.
I recently downloaded the update and was insulted to see that everything has changed. The great side banner has been replaced by a tiny almost illegible grey square with minimal information, and in landscape mode nearly a third of the screen is taken up by a useless banner. Why?? What I'm really upset about is the fact that the app no longer seems to work with my stereo. I've tried adjusting the settings but the voice commands will no longer work. Updating to 5.0 has ruined my experience with the app, which I previously used regularly for both business and pleasure trips. I sincerely hope these problems are rectified with an update soon as I cannot continue to use it in it's new form.
Once great app, now useless
When I first tried this app over 2 years ago it was great, fully functioning and so cheap.
Now however over the last few months I find myself not even bothering with the app and instead using apples 'sat nav'. The once great speed camera warning does not seem function at all anymore (which may have resulted in a ticket), I have checked and updated my settings but to no avail.
The ability to mute voice guidance has also made me not want to continue using this app either. Now when you press mute, all it does is turn down your iPhone volume, including my music, thus removing the ability to shut off the sometimes unwanted and annoying voice guidance.
Also while I'm on that subject, repeating which turning to take 3 times is overkill, this needs reducing down to just 2. As sometimes the same instruction is repeated 3 times after in a row!
All in all, I hope these problems can be resolved very soon otherwise I will be looking elsewhere, as currently covering circa 20k business miles a year and need something more reliable.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: 10 December 2013
- Version: 5.0
- Size: 46.8 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Developer: skobbler GmbH
- © 2013 skobbler GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Map access - UK£1.99
- Map access - Europe£3.99
- Map access - All maps£7.99
- Wallace & Gromit£2.49
- Stephen Fry£2.49
- Map access - France£1.99
- Mr. T£2.49
- Map access - Spain£1.99
- Map access - USA£1.99