Sky Guide: View Stars Night or Day
By Fifth Star Labs LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A star and constellation guide has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find stars, constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
*****App Store Best of 2013*****
"If you want to learn more about the stars, planets, and satellites spinning around us at all times of the day, Sky Guide is the best app to do it with."
“An experience like no other on iOS...10/10."
“Until now, the best [astronomy apps] have emphasized utility over beauty. That all changes with Sky Guide.”
Is it a star or Saturn? Learning what’s in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you–no setup required!
Whether you’re looking for the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or Mars, Sky Guide will satisfy your curiosity. You can search for thousands of celestial sights—and be guided exactly where to see them in the sky above you. Just follow the arrow.
Want to watch a satellite pass overhead? Sky Guide features hundreds of visible satellites for you to track. See them rise and chart their paths as they fly through space. We also offer an add-on pack that provides satellite identification, detailed historical information and future flyover times.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. Or, witness the approach of magnificent comets and see their tails evolve as they fly around the Sun.
Sky Guide contains immersive visuals unlike any star app you have seen before. With exclusive, high-resolution photographs captured by one of the app developers, you’ll witness millions of stars—not just a few thousand simulated points! Plus, you can control the intensity of star light with HDR brightness gestures to dial in your local viewing conditions.
Sky Guide may have few buttons but it has ample content. With richly illustrated and cross-linked articles—many by leading astronomical authors—countless enlightened moments await novice and seasoned stargazers alike.
Plus, Sky Guide functions with or without a Wi-Fi, data, or GPS signal. Take it camping or use it overseas. Everything is at your fingertips at all times, in all places.
• Elegant and simple: Unobtrusive controls and gestures free up the screen for the best sky view yet.
• Rich content: Generous amounts of stunning graphics and original artwork.
• Soundscape: Designed by Mat Jarvis, the most featured composer in the award-winning soundtrack for the game Osmos. Stars have sounds based on their temperature and size.
• Useful anywhere: Works with or without a GPS or data signal. Built-in access to hundreds of articles no matter where you are.
• Time controls: Know where objects will appear in the future with cinematic time-lapse effects.
• HDR brightness gestures: Dynamically control how bright the sky is to match how many stars you can see under light-polluted skies.
• Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
Please note: Sky Guide requires a gyroscope, so it doesn't work with iPad 1 or iPhone 3GS and earlier.
What's New in Version 3.0
• Time-lapse has arrived! Swipe UP from the bottom edge to reveal new time controls. See satellites streak through the sky at 1,000X real-time. Turn it up to 30,000X to see beautiful, spinning star trails.* Go even faster to switch into day-stepping mode and you'll see the motions of the planets as they dance around the Sun. Use the date & time picker to witness past or future events.
• 64 bit support. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPad Air, and iPad Mini with Retina display.
• Realistic comets. We not only gave Comet ISON some company with the likes of Comet Hale-Bopp, Halley and more, but also accurately stylized them with beautifully dynamic coma and tails. Pro tip: use the new time controls to see comets evolve as they approach the Sun, or witness magnificent comets of the past!
• More deep sky goodies. We've DOUBLED the number of photographic articles for galaxies, nebulae and star clusters. Those who keep exploring will be rewarded.
• Improved Search: we made it easier to find things you might be looking for.
• Satellites: flyovers at night that are obscured by Earth's shadow are no longer listed in the article view.
• Added a location for the North Pole (listed under Geographic Points). The sky looks different here, especially in time-lapse mode!
• Various UI improvements
* Star trails are supported on devices running OpenGL ES 3.0 (iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Mini w/ Retina display)
Every update gets better & better. This last one has blown my mind. Nicks photos literally come alive with the motion of time. Buying the satellite add on is worth it beyond measure & I'm going to have to consider an iPad Air now just for this app.
I do have to say, some stars are a little too large on this latest version, for example Sirius appears much larger & brighter than Jupiter. But other than that, amazing stuff.
If you haven't got this app yet, treat yourself.
--- Original Review ---
Has lots of nice features, very slick interface & of course Nicks photography is amazing.
The devs are genuine people too, I've sent them a couple of messages here & there & they reply quickly & enjoy what they do. I like that.
Can't wait for higher resolution images.
Beautiful and literally amazing
The ONLY thing preventing me from spending hours and hours on this app is my iPads battery life, and that is 10 hours long...
The compass works perfectly, and i was worried that i would need to see the stars to view them but the app cleverly uses your location and the compass to show all stars in the sky instead of using the less reliable iPad camera which i was thankful for!
I urge you to get this app, it is truly amazing if you like anything to do with the stars or the night sky!
This app scores 5 stars on several fronts. It works very well in the field (just as smoothly as with wifi) and is very accurate, sensing even the slightest movement. It is beautifully presented, informative and of real value even to a seasoned observer. It does just as good a job as dedicated astronomy gadgets costing a 100 times this price! Add a pair of headphones and the ambient music really adds something to your star gazing experience. Certainly one of the best apps I've come across.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 19 December 2013
- Version: 3.0
- Size: 83.6 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Developer: Fifth Star Labs LLC
- © 2013 Fifth Star Labs LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases