The Sky News app has been updated to bring you the latest news, better performance and a richer experience when viewing our content.
• Receive notifications of breaking news
• Watch Sky News live from anywhere in the UK
• View all the latest Top Stories or browse content by section
• Read in-depth content written by Sky News correspondents
• View the very best Sky News videos in square and portrait format over WiFi and mobile network
• View image galleries in the app
• Share stories and videos on social media
• Continue reading stories offline
Please note: Watching video may incur additional mobile network and/or WiFi charges.
• We're introducing a new way to watch the latest videos right from Top Stories
• You can now control the text size within the app - simply tap the settings icon in the top-right corner
• We've refreshed the look of our app on iPad to make it cleaner and easier to use
• General bug fixes and enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
Dodgy advertising and more
Advertising sometimes appears to be unvetted. I got slightly further than I should have done into giving information for a free phone in return for detailed feedback on the product, and immediately began, and still am, receiving masses of every kind of spam email, including the very worst sorts. Also from the Sky News app I responded to an advert for a free trial of a health supplement, which turned out to be a scam and lost me over 100 quid, and it would have been worse if I hadn’t spotted it. My bank’s Fraud Department said around 30,000 people had been caught on that and similar deceptions in the year. Also, when all you want is a quick, straight read of story, what you now often get is a “timeline“, with the latest meat of the thing miles further down, and masses of not always very enlightening tweets, etc, etc. The app appears to suffer endlessly at the hands of An Innovations Department with revisions that certainly don’t improve the thing.
Great app but a few issues!
I have been using sky news for years and it’s great. They are always the first to get the news whilst the rest straddle begins and often seam to wait for sky news to confirm things before posting themselves! However... one of the most annoying things is when they make a breaking news statement it often won’t open or doesn’t lead to anything initially. This is something that should be looked into. For example “ Bruce Forsyth dies at his...” so you tap and go to open the link and it goes to the main news articles and there is nothing. You have to wait 5/10 minutes for something to show. It is not often it does happen but it should be perfect 100% of the time.
Object lesson in how not to do it
The concept is brilliant. Short, summarised stories that allow the user to quickly get the main detail about the current key stories. For a long time it was the go to news app.
The implementation has got worse with every update for a while now. They introduced annoying slide over adverts which would pop up from the bottom of the screen as soon as you scrolled upwards. Now they’ve stopped bothering to wait for the scroll and pop them up as soon as you tap into a story. We’re not talking targeted advertising here. We’re talking adverts for the kind of dross click bait ‘you’ll never believe how she looks now’ rubbish that fills your Facebook feed.
It’s a shame. They have to make money of course, especially with everyone ditching tv packages in favour of Netflix, but this is not the way. Finally giving up on it and deleting.
- Sky UK Limited
- 69.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2018 Sky UK
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.