Skype for iPad
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Say “hello” to friends and family with an instant message, voice or video call on Skype for free. There’s so much you can do, right from the palm of your hand.
Join over 300 million people every month using Skype
- Get started with Skype on your iPad and find your friends in an instant.
Call friends on Skype
- Enjoy free voice and video calls to anyone else who is on Skype and make HD quality video calls from your iPad 4.
Message friends and send photos in an instant
- Instant message your friends in a flash, add emoticons and even photos.
- Stay in touch with friends and family even when they're busy or offline with unlimited, free video messages.
Call mobiles and landlines
- Add a little Skype Credit to send low-cost SMS messages or call friends on their mobile or landline.
No WiFi? No problem.
- Skype works on 3G* and WiFi – so you can stay in touch, even if you’re out and about.
Chat with anyone, anywhere
- Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs and even TVs. Whatever device your friend or family uses, Skype just works. Simple.
Search the app store for other great apps from Skype:
- Skype for iPhone
- Skype WiFi
• iOS 5 or above.
• Send and receive video using front or back camera on iPad 2, iPad 3rd Generation, iPad 4th Generation, iPad Mini.
• Works with any H264 compatible devices, including TVs.
What's New in Version 4.19
• General improvements
Crashes when I try to load large chat
I like to use Skype mainly to chat with a particular large group of people. Due to the amount of people, it can get rather busy, so lots of messages come in. However, I find that whenever I try to open it up on mobile I simply can't due to the fact it freezes after it loads up the chat (I'm lucky if it even DOES load) This makes me sad, because it's really the only thing I use Skype for so it's practically useless due to these awful bugs, and it feels like an overall poorly made app in terms of stability. However, it seems to work pretty great in smaller groups, so I'll be generous and give it 2 stars... It may seem low, but as an app purely made for talking to people. I'd expect to ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO TALK TO PEOPLE!
It's great but...
Overall this is a good app, but there are problems with it - a lot of problems. These include: not loading contacts picture (minor); not having a call button on a group chat (major); not being able to send pictures to someone on another device other than IPad (major); not being able to send pictures to someone on another iPad (minor (for me anyway)); the other person not being able to see me (major); not being able to answer calls sometimes (major)
If these get fixed soon it will be a great app.
I've been a user of Skype for a very long time and mostly found it to be very reliable. However, once Microsoft bought out the company, the service was only going to go downhill.
There has been no updates to the Skype app in about a year and it has got worse and worse to the point I can't actually use it to its basic functions anymore.
No notifications, it almost never actually sends any messages I send, about the only thing I can successfully use it for is to call out. It rarely responds when I get a call in, it almost never tells me if someone has sent me a notification or message.
I am so disappointed. I used Skype to speak to my partner who lives at the other end of the country. I'm actually glad we're about to move in together so I don't have to rely on this about every pile of rubbish. I'm now going to delete this off my devices as I've had enough.
Thanks a bunch Microsoft.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: 17 November 2014
- Version: 4.19
- Size: 31.4 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Developer: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © (c) 2003 - 2014 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up£3.99