Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with lots of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made amazing: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favourite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any Highlights with amazing emoticons or send a private message about that Highlight. Your Highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.10.1
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- Fixed a sign in issue that some people were experiencing.
- Manage multiple Skype calls.
- General performance and reliability improvements.
Long time user - now removed from my iPhone
I pay a monthly £5 fee to Skype (Microsoft) to use Skype on my Mac for work calls - in and out bound. I also top up each month- perhaps £10-£20 worth of call costs. Until earlier this year, this app had been a very useful adjunct to extend my use whilst I’m away from my desk.
I have an iPhone 6 Plus and I’ve slowly realised that this phone app has drained my battery and slowed everything down - for months. I’ve just removed it and suddenly love my (now much faster) phone again.
Microsoft - why do you have to bloat every bit of software you acquire? The VAST majority of iPhone users don’t (yet) have the new A11 chip and don’t want an app that NEEDS that much computing power to deliver a bearable experience. Skype’s main functionality can be delivered extremely efficiently on not-new phones - and was, until you removed the not-perfect, but definitely usable, previous version. Not only have I deleted this phone app, I’m now actively looking for a replacement for Skype on my Mac (which is where you make your money from me) - because this app no longer enhances my productivity, it reduces it.
Quite cross, actually.
Nicer UI but taking time to match the old version
You can now set status to Available, DND, and Invisible. Odd because while signed in on my phone and desktop I will show as "away" even while actively using my desktop. Not helpful and looks bad to my colleagues.
Recent updates improve signing in and out, this is fine if you want to quickly sign in to the last account you used, not great for me switching between personal and work.
I know it isn't Skype Business but many depend on this for work and in its current state is a solid case for switching to Slack or Discord.
Like so many others I am sick of the changes to what once was a reasonable piece of communication software. Do I want swirling graphics or colour choices to be the most important part of the app? No, I just want an intuitive phone/messaging app like the original was or like WhatsApp is now. It’s not bloody rocket science. The only thing it’s good for is cheap calls to landlines but choosing the number or finding the controls are a total mess as is the rest of the interface. If I had time I’d look for another solution but life’s too short so I’ll grudgingly soldier on with this junk.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: 15 November 2017
- Version: 8.10.1
- Size: 108 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up£4.99