Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Skype keeps the world talking. Free messaging, voice and video calls with anyone for free.
- Talk face to face with a video call.
- New group video calls with up to 25 people.
- Free voice calls to anyone else on Skype. Add up to 25 people on a group call.
- Message your friends in an instant and add up to 300 people to a group chat.
- Call mobiles and landlines at low rates (Skype to Skype calls are always free).
- Share photos, video messages, your location and add emoticons and Mojis to your chat.
- Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs, and even some TVs. Now it’s even easier to stay connected to friends and family – no matter the device they’re on.
- Available for Apple Watch – your notifications and chats available on your wrist.
Learn more at skype.com
• iOS 8.0 or above (If you are using iOS 7 or earlier, you can download the last compatible version by tapping install/update and following the prompt to download.) The Apple Watch features require iOS 8.2 and of course, an Apple Watch.
What's New in Version 6.17.1
Welcome to Skype 6.17.1 for iPhone. We are working hard to make Skype even better for all your calls and messaging – here’s what’s new in this update:
- Add new friends by opening your Contacts, tapping 'Invite friends to Skype' and selecting who you want to join.
- Improvements to voice and video call quality.
Please continue to send us feedback by opening the app and tapping the Skype Community link in My info. We are listening!
I've been using for years and always good
I've been using Skype for many years and never let me down tough I had initially problems when Skype join Microsoft, but this has been resolved as was more down to technicalities. I have been using this app to contact family/landline abroad and till today has been fantastic service. On odd occasion communications can be tricky but I noticed that is down to my network/wifi connections. Video calls are also very good and clear however I think that there is still space for improvement with regard to conference calls when using a mobile. I can speak and hear clearly but there is no way of having image for more than one participant, this is the main reason I only rated 4* otherwise I would be happy to score Skype a 5*
Nevertheless I pay a monthly fee for contacting landlines abroad (only for one country of my choice), but equally we should be able to contact mobile phones with no addition fees as countries like Portugal have very cheap rates and in fact it is possible to have a monthly plan and all calls for mobile and landline are all inclusive, so I can't understand why paying for this type of calls (mobile numbers), this is also something that Skype can reconsider as salve for improvement such a as better deals with specific networks.
Great Voice quality, worst notification feature
Skype Skype Skype. It's a great way to make free Skype to Skype call, send pictures, files, documents, location sharing and all. There's only one thing you are missing which I think you need to address before you little by little loose your ground. It's called Notification, the notification of incoming calls, messages fails in a big way. You will never miss a messages or incoming calls on Whatsapp not in this life time. It's a really strong feature on all those apps that just arrived after many years of Skype existence and it's really a shame with all the billions in the bank. Why not sell Skype to people that knows how to make it work and complete with the likes of whatsaap ? I'm not rude but many grew up with Skype and to see it fail in some little areas like notifications, easy way to register like whatsaap without going thru form filling all needs to be addressed. You can do it because you have the resources because Skype failure will mean Microsoft is a failure. Don't sue me I'm just being helpful. Or am I going down? Oh sweet Jesus.
Numerous long standing problems with chat/messaging
Still fails with notifications, very rarely get any when there's calls coming through or missed calls.
Thought it was my previous iPhone but a new unit, freshly installed and not restored shows the same issues.
Go into Skype and don't see the messages from contacts there, I message them and suddenly their messages appear.
Whatsapp can seem to get messaging and notifications working correctly but Skype can't.
For reference here's from a previous review.
Through many different iPhones and versions of iOS / Skype I have experienced the following for years now:
* On WiFi or perfect 4G connectivity people will call me yet it will not show on my iPhone.
* Messages appearing out of order in the app
* Notifications yet no corresponding entry in the chat log
* and the reverse...messages in the app yet no notification
There's two reasons I still use Skype:
1. Friends and family insist on using Skype
2. The quality of calls and video, when it actually lets me know someone is calling, are very good.
If it wasn't for these I'd drop this crappy app like a bad habit.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: 07 June 2016
- Version: 6.17.1
- Size: 104 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © (c) 2003 - 2016 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up£3.99