Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with lots of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made amazing: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favourite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any Highlights with amazing emoticons or send a private message about that Highlight. Your Highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.12.2
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- A new and improved design.
- Support for iPhone X.
- Camera fixes - fixed an issue where the front and rear camera would sometimes have trouble switching during a call.
- General performance and reliability improvements.
Once great software now ruined + privacy issues
Recent versions have started harvesting your contact data to 'suggest' new contacts to your contacts in a 'discover' section that is presented ahead of their favourites. If you or they don't have many contacts, it is often obvious where these suggestions are coming from, effectively disclosing your contact list to everyone on it. There are no permissions or controls you can influence on this. Deleting your contacts or account does not cause these suggestions to be removed once made.
Other than this astonishingly egregious practice, they also seem to have lost sight of what Skype is about: contacts, their presence, and making video calls with them - all features that are now difficult to use and de-emphasised with 'chat', 'following' and (no-doubt) emoji nonsense now taking front and centre.
Once upon a time if you wanted to make calls over the internet, you thought Skype. That app is no longer available. This app - thinly masquerading under the 'Skype brand' - is an unrelated Microsoft product that bears no resemblance to what it was before they acquired it, has an appalling user interface, and leaks your contact data. Avoid.
I would delete my skype account but can't because Microsoft have force-linked it to my outlook address so to do now would also mean losing that email address.
All in all a very good app
Like everything cyber there are always glitches and gremlins out there to upset your day however on the whole Skype has always been up there as a better than average communication application.
In truth the alternative is not so good, so better the devil you know.
I have never really had a problem with Skype and for that reason I would highly recommend it time and time again.
Many thanks guys .
Since the update Skype have done away with letting us know when our contacts are online/offline properly 😠 not so happy with that, this is not a good update, least on the iPad version I can still see who’s online and who’s not, I have a friend who sets her status as “away” and it shows on the iPad version but on the iPhone version it doesn’t show people who have set their status to “away” or “busy” which should be changed us users need to know easy when our friends are away/busy/active etc
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: 11 December 2017
- Version: 8.12.2
- Size: 113 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up£4.99