Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with lots of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made amazing: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favourite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any Highlights with amazing emoticons or send a private message about that Highlight. Your Highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.2.1
We're constantly working to make Skype better for you.
Here's what's new:
- General performance and stability improvements.
- Share photos and links to Skype from other apps.
- Delete contacts – the ability to add or remove contacts from their profile.
- The new Skype now supports all iOS 9.0 (or later) iPhones.
I have no idea how this design got approved and all the way through to release.
I spent quite a long time hunting around a completely fragmented interface looking for the option to turn myself 'offline', only to eventually have to give up and conclude that they have removed the ability to set yourself as 'offline, 'do not disturb', 'invisible', etc. Is that a feature that the UI designers decided nobody uses? Really?
Then there's the inability to see other users state without clicking on each user in turn. Really?
Seems the only way to make myself 'offline' is to delete the app. I'm sorely tempted.
Update on new release:
"We're constantly working to make Skype better for you", you say. If that was the case then we wouldn't be forced to update to this awful app that replaced one that did work for us.
I forgot to mention the awful forced and inescapable tutorial in the new version. Terrible.
Well I haven't deleted the app, but I have disabled it (no notifications or background updates) in the hope that you'll revert to the old version. Make the new version downloadable as a new app and we'd have a choice. Please!
Just please, please, please don't update the iPad version to this rubbish otherwise I will have to move to alternatives.
Another wasted update. Please revert to the old version while you make the new one usable. Ideally make the new version available as a separate app so that the rest of us can keep using a version of Skype that works.
Shocking update/s! Complacent attitude.
The incremental updates keep coming, and the app is not changing dramatically from its awful new form. It feels like you're not listening. You could have mass approval and happy customers if you reverted back to the previous app. I understand that won't happen, but let's meet in the middle?
Tweaking, and incrementally updating this abomination with a few restored previous features is not going to win users over again.
It's time for a complete rethink, again.
This can't be serious? I'm not going to use Skype if this new direction sticks. Highlights? Some kind of forced social networking features? No. Where are the privacy settings for this abhorrent feature as well? Hastily rolled out drivel.
I hope the next update will remove forced social network highlights nonsense and restore a lot of the previous functionality.
Nobody wants 'highlights'. Nobody wants social networking from Skype. That stuff is saturated and for a young audience. Skype stood out from that, and now it has become a poor imitator of it.
If you were to offer users the chance to roll back to the previous version, I am certain 99% would.
I'm getting used to your competitors more quickly than I am this 'update'.
Think again, please.
The new design is horrible. So many squiggles looks like a 2 year old drew it. You have to click a user to see if they're online!
Edit-updated and I've now downgraded to 1 star. The app is really bad. It sends messages twice. Autocorrect sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Extremely slow. You cannot see who is online at a glance, you have to click their name... STILL, despite everyone complaining about it. You'd think Skype would have sorted that out first.
Edit - Update 2 - Skype still has not listened to everyone complaining about not being able to see if someone is online. Really regret updating my app and can't wait for Skype to end this horrendous new app and go back to what we used Skype for. The simplicity. The last thing we need is another social media account.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: 21 July 2017
- Version: 8.2.1
- Size: 91.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up£4.99