SmartHanzi is a free Chinese dictionary with etymology of Chinese characters and HSK training. The 2018 edition adds a text reader, easy navigation to related words and characters and a new landscape mode especially convenient for iPad.
Improved presentation of etymology also helps memorizing Chinese characters.
- English, French, German.
- Simplified and traditional variants.
- Searches by Chinese or by meaning.
- Links to related words and characters: e.g. easy to explore words containing the current one, or contained in the current one.
HSK training, level 1 to 6:
- Tests per level: flashcards & multiple choices.
- Results are saved, monthly progress is shown.
- Easy to focus on unknown or unsure words.
Tests are also available with traditional characters.
Etymology of Chinese characters:
- Semantic and phonetic components.
- Brief explanation of character meanings in old Chinese.
- Etymology is not only for scholars or experts. Easily accessible components and explanations also provide points of reference, helping students at any level to memorize characters and feel more comfortable with unknown characters.
Made for iPhone and iPad:
- Landscape best for iPad.
- In multi windowing, the app can show a convenient "iPhone like" smaller window on top of any other application.
- Clipboard reader: show words for a full text.
- Links to related words and characters.
- New landscape presentation for iPad.
- Tests also available with traditional characters.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.