By Peter Borg Apps AB
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
(Please note that if you are using a later macOS than 10.7 you can get a later version of Smultron with more features.)
”Smultron is a capable, inexpensive, and easy-to-use text editor” – Macworld
Smultron is what your text needs. It is a text editor for the rest of us which is both easy to use and elegant but still very powerful. With it you can easily write and edit unformatted text.
Nowadays we want access to and to be able change our information from all our devices all the time without any hassle. And with Smultron 4 you can do that. You can for instance start work on some text on your iPad at home, polish it at work on your Mac and check it one last time on your iPhone on the go. You can now get Smultron for your iPhone and iPad and share documents over iCloud.
• You can quickly write short or long pieces of text
• You can quickly edit a web page, to-do list, script, novel or any kind of text
• You have all your open documents easily accessible
• You can store your documents on iCloud and access them on all your Macs
• You can easily find what you are looking for in many different documents
• Smultron does not complicate things and you can directly start to write or edit text
• For the more advanced users Smultron is a fully featured text editor with syntax coloring for over 90 languages, regular expressions, commands, snippets, line numbers and many, many more features
Major changes in version 4:
• Easier and more elegant
• A new more flexible and improved way of handling your open documents
• Resume – Smultron will reopen right were you last left off
• Auto save – you don’t need to think about saving any more, Smultron will take care of that for you
• Versions – you can easily look at previous versions of your text and also restore to any earlier version
• Easier to find what you are looking for in documents
• Improved full screen experience
What's New in Version 4.3.1
• Addresses a possible issue where it could become unresponsive when moving a document to iCloud
• Better handling of a possible issue if the default font has been turned off or removed from the system
• Added Scheme syntax definition
• Added CUDA syntax definition (with help from Daniel Salles Chevitarese)
• Some small improvements to various syntax definitions
• Some other small fixes
Paid version worse than free version
I only updated because of a small bug in the 3 version on snow leopard, so it's the first time, I actually had to pay for the app.
The new multi document view makes no sense apart from cluttering up the screen. The document view is fine for navigating but no improvement to the previous version 3. Makes a many year user ask why to pay for a flawed upgrade. Get rid of the multi window and Smultron is still a great text editor (though was one of the top free apps out there, not any more, shame that the apple lockup is so tempting, but then again I don't know if donation models work for coders.
Once again, I will give a negative review….
EDIT / UPDATE:
Smultron 5 has just been released, It offers basically no new features, and Still does not offer a tabbed mode.
and its priced at £2.99.. its a rip off. Switch to Komodo, or any other free software with tabs. There are plenty.
Sorry Peter you lost my respect
Smultron 3 is fantastic, we love it.
Smultron 4 is not.
Smultron 3, looks good, works well, and is easy to manage multiple windows.
Smultron 4, is not.
Smultron 4 has many many improvements, its better syntax highlighting, icloud intergration is great, and full screen mode is really usefull.
So why am I still using smultron 3?
Tabs are used in everything nowadays, Browsers, File managers, FTP clients… Its because they are usefull.
Yes, we have better use now of things like Mission control and spaces in lion, but that doesnt mean we should take a step back…
Im still using smultron3, because i cant upgrade untill smultron 4 gets tabs back…
Another update, sadly still unuseable
Each doeument still opens in a new window rather than a new tab, this makes it difficult to handle multiple documents. Full screen is uesless as you would have to put each open doucment into full screen individually.
Potentially a great app, its functuality and os intergration have come on a long way from version 3, however the tabs issue prevails preventing it from succeeding. :( come on, its not a big ask.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 26 April 2012
- Version: 4.3.1
- Size: 2.6 MB
- Languages: English, Swedish
- Developer: Peter Borg Apps AB
- © 2004-2012 Peter Borg Apps AB
Compatibility: OS X 10.7.2 or later, 64-bit processor