By Peter Borg Apps AB
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
(If you are using OS X 10.9 or later you can get Smultron 6, 7 or 8 that have many new features and improvements.)
With Smultron you can easily write and edit text. It is a text editor for the rest of us which is both easy to use, elegant and very powerful.
• Do you ever quickly want to just write down some text without worrying about formatting?
• Do you ever want to quickly look at text in many different documents?
• Do you ever want to edit or create a web page?
• Do you ever need to write or change a script?
• Do you ever quickly want to write down a to do list?
• Do you ever want to find and change portions of your text in multiple documents?
Smultron can do all this for you and much, much more
• Smultron does not complicate your experience and you can directly start to write or edit text
• It colors the content in different colors depending on what your text does
• You have all your open documents easily accessible in a list to your left with icons which shows the content
• For the more advanced users Smultron is a fully featured text editor
• It can find all those system files that are normally hidden and it has authenticated open and saves for them
• Smultron can also use regular expressions
• You can run commands and scripts and insert the result
• You can also have snippets of code readily available when you need it
• There is also full support for all text encodings and you can also preview HTML-documents directly
• It can also show line numbers and split the window so that you can see two different parts of a document at once
What's New in Version 3.8.4
• Is generally slightly faster
• Uses slighty less memory
• Fixed an issue with the default preview font size
• Added setting for default preview font size
• Improved Prolog syntax definition (thanks to Nico Rotstein)
• Some other small changes
Sticking with this version
I've purchased this app despite being on Lion as the screenshots for version 4 make me shudder. I'd not checked to see if Smultron was on the App Store because I'm sure I read a post somewhere that the developer was no longer going to continue with it and had opensourced it. It appears he has decided too but I feel he has made a big mistake. I wanted to upgrade to the latest '3' release to show my support and as he seems to have removed any other method of contacting him to urge him to revisit what he is doing with the Lion version. There is only one review for that version and it's negative. There are several for this version and an average 5 star rating. That should say something.
Excellent and Works on Lion
Bought this after reading both the Smultron and Smultron 4 comments and went for this one. Not only does the single screen make more sense to me, I decided that I would prefer this to being forced to use the multiple windows option of Smultron 4.
I purchased this to replace TextEdit and gedit - Textedit is far to basic and gedit, whilst good, isn't a native OS X app and suffers in terms of performance and abilities. This more than makes up for that - full Syntax highlighting for everything I've thrown at it (HTML, CSS and LaTeX so far).
In terms of costs, this trumps TextMate in my mind - that program is nice but shockingly expensive for the features - this hits the features and price point nicely on the head. For this sort of money, I'd be happy to buy other free programs I use if they were as good quality as this.
Overall, I'm now using this as the default text editor on both my Mac's and I'm glad I did.
Quick, slick and powerful
Good App, well worth the £2.99 price. Its a very clean interface, performs well and it is deceptively powerful as it has many features not imediately apparent when looking at the screenshots. I would love to see the developer adding a GUI button to show/hide the document sidebar as well as possibly some additional feedback on how many docs are open which is not currently available when the document sidebar is closed.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: 01 June 2011
- Version: 3.8.4
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Languages: English, Swedish
- Developer: Peter Borg Apps AB
- © 2004-2011 Peter Borg
Compatibility: OS X 10.6 or later