The classic Roland Sound Canvas sound module is reborn as a software synthesizer for iPhone or iPad.
SOUND Canvas is a software synthesizer that emulates perfectly the highly popular GS format sound source, along with a bulit-in SMF *1 player for playing Standard MIDI Files.
It is based on the Roland GS standard that has been de facto standard sound source, "SOUND Canvas Series" of Roland Desk Top Music (DTM).
It is compatible with the sound for "GS","GM2", and "GM".
It includes Reverb, Chorus, Delay, and 2 Band EQ, plus 64 types of insertion effects *2.
In addition, it plays SMF for "SC-88Pro" and "SC-8820". *3
You can enjoy the old data created by SOUND Canvas series and a variety of GS data on the market from Roland with high quality sound.
*1: SMF:Standard MIDI File with extension ".mid". The SMF to play in the SOUND Canvas is recommended SMF format 0.
*2: This utility canNOT edit the tone nor insertion effect.
*3: Subtle nuance of Tone color, Volume balance, trigger timing of note on may vary depending on the data.
[ Features ]
-Two types of graphical user interface: “Sound Canvas skin” for music data creation and “Player skin” for practicing with instruments or karaoke application.
*Swipe left or right(up or down for iPhone) with two fingers to switch between the skins.
- High quality MIDI file sounds by its 1,600 tones and 63 factory drum presets.
- Convenient functions:"LOOP" mode to repeat your specifying region, "SONG LIST PLAY" to play sequentially plural songs, and more multifunction.
- MIDI interface (separately sold) connection enables to receive MIDI data from the external devices to play sounds.
- Available with a music application compatible for the Core MIDI.
- Requires iOS : 8.1 or later
- Works on : iPhone5s, iPhone6, iPhone6 Plus, iPad Air or later, iPad mini2 or later, iPod Touch 6 Generation
- Bug fixed when using Master Key Shift.
- Bluetooth MIDI device is now selectable directly from the MENU inside SOUND Canvas.
Ratings and Reviews
Let down by silly bugs
Using version 1.2.2 of the app on iOS 11.3.1 iPad Air 16GB.
Midi omni mode does not work properly, only sounding the part on the midi channel of the driving midi controller (Akai ewi usb in this case). So multi-timbral mode does not work. Had to use MIDI break out to make this mode work properly. Also once saved, instrument parts file rename function demands a filename without spaces (like 1980s MSDOS) BUT IT DOESN'T TELL YOU, just sullenly doesn't do anything. The app needs thorough testing.
Well the sounds are all there and it's very true to the original hardware. But I'm getting awful timing issues over MIDI (compared to other multitimbral apps like Gadget, iM1 and so on). No idea what's up. 4 or more tracks and it trips up. But it plays MIDI files internally just great. Weird!
Great app works well and good sounds
- Roland Corporation
- 74 MB
- Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 Roland Corporation
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.