Award-winning app turning screen time into an active learning experience by creating engaging social stories. A perfect tool for visual storytelling designed to break learning down into small steps.
Transforming lives in 100+ countries, Special Stories supports children’s communication and language skills, as well as making progress with their education and personal development.
Areas of Development
• Improve sight-reading skills
• Promote language acquisition
• Improve listening and spoken language
• Develop writing skills
• Encourage word, pictures and sound recognition
• Help with social skills
Endless Possibilities with Special Stories
• Explain step-by-step tasks
• Create social stories and visual schedules
• Share information between home and school, with distant family and friends
• Teach academic and social skills
• Make photo albums about holidays and special events
Personalised to Suit Abilities
• Use your own photographs to create unique books to keep and share
• Add your own text to progress from single words to short phrases and longer sentences
• Include personalised audio to bring stories to life
• Tap or automatically advance stories to the next page
• Use at home, school and in speech therapy sessions
Share Your Stories
• Copy content to and from the app on another phone or tablet
• Exchange stories using AirDrop, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Dropbox, Google Drive or email
• Open in Apple Books, print stories directly or send as PDF
• Transfer content to and from our Special Words app to extend the learning process
Accessible For All
• Support for switch control using Bluetooth and USB switches for those unable to use a touch screen
• Choice of fonts, including OpenDyslexic and our own Special Letters with easy to read characters, plus a large text option
• Support for Smart Invert Colours which can be helpful for those with visual impairment
Reviews from Parents and Professionals
“I spend so much time making and laminating personal books, stories and flash cards for my son, but at last, an app that does it all in the blink of an eye! So easy to use and quick to make really motivating stories.”
Helen Taylor, Teacher
“Special Stories is a simple app with an endless amount of scope for children with communication difficulties and disabilities.”
Fundamentally Children, Good App Guide Recommended
“Ava takes photos of her day and creates a story which we look at when she gets home. That way it feels like we are sharing the experience together. It’s a wonderful way to explore the world and encourage SEN children to open up about the way they are interact with the environment around them.”
Denise Wilson-Bainbridge, Parent and Special Educational Needs Coordinator
Speak Your Language
• User interface provided in 18 languages: Albanian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Ukrainian
• Create a story in any language, a great way to support multilingual children, as well as to teach English as an additional language
Why Our Apps Are Different
• Visually clear and simple, with no distracting backgrounds or noises
• Tested and recommended by Down syndrome and ASD experts and organisations around the world
• No in-app purchases, pop-up ads or user tracking
• Developed in collaboration with parents, professionals and teachers of children with special educational needs
Part of the Special iApps Family
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning non-profit social enterprise with a worldwide reputation for creating educational apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs, as well as in early years education. They initially created apps to teach their youngest son William, who has Down syndrome and autism, now they support children in 100+ countries and 27+ languages.
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Brilliant app, so easy to use.
This is a brilliant app, so easy to use and my son loves it. You can print the stories or go through them on your phone when out and about. Really invaluable.
Excellent tool for kids with learning difficulties!
My 4 year old son has down syndrome and his speech and language therapist recommended that we make storybooks for him. It takes along time printing and connecting the camera to the laptop etc. However using this app is excellent because it's so interactive & immediate. You can create pages of a story in seconds. Also as well as the text and picture you have also got the spoken word. I showed this app to his teacher before Easter break and she was like when is he bringing his iPad into school because they couldn't wait to use it with him. I can't wait to see stories about his day at school so that we talk about them together when he gets home. I have also purchased the other app made by the same people call Special words which I also can't recommend enough. I bought an iPad specifically to buy & use these apps and it was worth every single penny. Even after a few days of using these apps Ive noticed an improvement in his speech. I have a picture of his brother and sister in a book called my family. Hes already starting to use words like big brother and little sister rather than just their names. I can't wait to see what other apps they come up with!
Special stories is just brilliant
This is a fantastic app. I can't believe how easy it is to create completely individualised stories for my son. Like many parents I have spent countless hours in the past taking and printing photos, typing text, cutting and sticking into scrap books etc and now I can make a story in minutes. It's brilliant.! We went to the museum recently, I took the iPad and took photos . I had made our dinosaur story before we had even left the museum! We could talk about it using our story when we got home. I can use vocab which my son can read so he can record his own story. I can use vocab which he is working on at school or in speech therapy. I send his ipad to school. His TA records activities she does with him as a story then when he gets home we can read the story together and talk about his day. I can't recommend this app highly enough for a child with special needs for developing reading and language and for making the creation of individualised resources so quick and easy.
- Special iApps C.I.C.
- 23.2 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Albanian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Special iApps C.I.C.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.