Spectaculator, ZX Spectrum Emulator
By Jonathan Needle
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Now over 150 licensed ZX Spectrum games available!
In April 1982, Sir Clive Sinclair launched what was to become one of the most popular home computers ever made - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
Spectaculator takes you back to the 1980s - to the golden era of 8-bit gaming!
Play the following 22 officially licensed classic ZX Spectrum games:
- 3D Starstrike by Realtime Games Software
- Auf Wiedersehen Monty by Gremlin Graphics
- Avenger by Gremlin Graphics
- Bounder by Gremlin Graphics
- Cyclone by Vortex Software
- Dark Star by Design Design
- Dynamite Dan by Rod Bowkett/Mirrorsoft
- Forbidden Planet by Design Design
- Halls of the Things by Design Design
- Highway Encounter by Vortex Software
- Jack The Nipper by Gremlin Graphics
- Krackout by Gremlin Graphics
- Jekyll & Hyde by Zenobi Software
- Metabolis by Gremlin Graphics
- Monty On The Run by Gremlin Graphics
- On The Run by Design Design
- Revolution by Vortex Software
- Tau Ceti by Pete Cooke/CRL
- The Way Of The Tiger by Gremlin Graphics
- Albatrossity by Jonathan Cauldwell
- Battery's Not Precluded by Jonathan Cauldwell
- The Fantastic Mister Fruity by Jonathan Cauldwell
... with more available from the in-app shop.
Spectaculator gives you the most authentic ZX Spectrum experience available on your iPhone, iPod and iPad, and comes with lots of additional features:
• Universal App - runs on iPhone, iPod and iPad.
• Supports iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th generation screen.
• Play in portrait or landscape orientations
• Save your game progress (four saved game slots + one iCloud saved game slot per game).
• Save your progress to iCloud from one device (e.g. iPod) and load to continue playing on another (e.g. iPad).
• Enter pokes (cheats) for infinite lives, shields etc.
• Lookup game hints, tips and maps
• Play in black and white with TV screen simulation for the ultimate 1980s experience!
• Battle to the top of the (Game Center) leaderboards!
• Type on a virtual ZX Spectrum keyboard
• Use an external Bluetooth keyboard for playing adventure games
• Choose authentic cassette loading or fast play
• Program in Sinclair BASIC
• Enjoy high resolution graphics on Retina screens
• Play using an external arcade controller (iCade or iControlPad)
Additional Game Packs
The following games packs are available from the in-app shop:
Design Design Games Pack
- 5 Games. Includes Halls of the Things, Dark Star, Forbidden Planet
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 1
- 6 games. Includes Wanted! Monty Mole, Skate Crazy, Thing Bounces Back
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 2
- 6 games. Includes Jack The Nipper II: In Coconut Capers, North Star, Grumpy Gumphrey, Supersleuth
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 3
- 6 games. Includes Switchblade, Trailblazer, Super Scramble Simulator, Percy The Potty Pigeon
Odin Computer Graphics Anthology
- 9 games. Includes Nodes Of Yesod, Robin Of The Wood, Heartland
Realtime Games Pack
- Starstrike II
- 3D Tank Duel
Stephen Crow Anthology (Free!)
©1983-2013 Stephen Crow. All rights reserved.
- 5 games. Includes Firelord, Starquake, Wizard's Lair
- 6 games. Includes Alien Highway, Deflektor, T.L.L. (Tornado Low Level)
Zenobi Adventure Pack Vol. 1
- 6 games. Includes Aura-Scope, The Gods of War, Leopold The Minstrel
Zenobi Adventure Pack Vol. 2
- 6 games. Includes The Khangrin Plans, The Krazy Kartoonist Kaper, A Murder Mystery Weekend
Zenobi Adventures Vol. 3
- 5 games. Includes The Apprentice, The Bardic Rite, Jester Quest, Knight Life, Mutiny!
The following single games are available from the in-app shop:
- Carrier Command
- Dynamite Dan II
- Frank N. Stein
- Laser Squad
- Lords Of Chaos
- The Lords Of Midnight
- [NEW!] Bear Bovver
- [NEW!] Doomdark's Revenge
- [NEW!] Everyone's a Wally
- [NEW!] KWAH!
- [NEW!] Redhawk
- [NEW!] Skool Daze
What's New in Version 7.0
Now over 150 licensed ZX Spectrum games available!
• Updated for iOS 9
• Added an additional 20 licensed games:
- Splat! (1987)
- Strike Force Cobra (1986)
- Julian Gollop Anthology:
• Laser Squad
• Lords Of Chaos
• Rebelstar 2
• Rebelstar Raiders
- Cronosoft: Bob Smith Anthology:
• Farmer Jack - Treasure Trove
• Farmer Jack and the Hedge Monkeys
• Farmer Jack in Harvest Havoc
• Stranded 2.5
- Cronosoft: Jonathan Cauldwell Anthology:
• Egghead 4: Egghead Entertains
• Egghead 5: Egghead Round the Med
• Gamex: The Games Exchange
• Loco Bingo
• Quantum Gardening
Miscellaneous bug fixes.
BEST on the App Store
Spectaculator is an absolute gem in the App Store. It's a great emulator, has some fantastic features (Worldwide leaderboards for games of the 80's. Thank you). The games list is growing, they come complete with manuals & links to POKES that you can use & best of all, they're done so with agreement from the original devs.
There's something genuinely cool about playing games from my youth on my phone & I'll keep on supporting this App as long as it goes back to the people that gave me those memories.
Jonathan Needle supports the original game developers so when you buy games in Spectaculator, YOU support those devs too.
There was another emulator on the App Store with bad morals & almost zero support for the original devs. This is definitely one to support.
Oh, don't blame the app for not working with BlueTooth keyboards. It's Apple who have put that limitation on apps. You can only use BT keyboards as input devices (Basic text input), not as ways to control apps. Shame really.
I would still like the ability to sort game based on years, publisher, genre & other 'tags' such as play count so I don't forget to look back over my list. But that's just a thing for the people that know how to get the most out of the App.
Other than that, couldn't ask for more.
My 80s dream come true
This is a superb emulator. I have been happily writing a couple of basic games, enjoying playing some old games I remember and discovering new games I missed first time round. Some of the games available here are even only a few years old as people refuse to let the old girl die!
I always wanted a portable spectrum to be released back in the day. To finally have one with a full keyboard that's exactly as I remember it is just amazing.
Fantastic app. Many thanks to the author for producing this.
this is a got to have app if you had a spectrum.
yes you cant import zx roms but if you search google there is away around this ive installed loads of games from world of spectrum so now im re living my child hood and playing football director and football manager ive installed loads of my fav games its amazing only thing it needs is to speed it up like you can on the pc version i think ive well and truely had my moneys worth .
- Category: Games
- Updated: 15 October 2015
- Version: 7.0
- Size: 28.8 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Jonathan Needle
- © 2001, 2015 Jonathan Needle
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Skool Daze£0.99
- Odin Anthology£1.99
- Magic Knight Anthology£1.99
- The Lords Of Midnight£0.99
- Everyone's a Wally£0.99
- Realtime Games Pack£0.99
- Carrier Command£0.99
- Alternative Software Pack 2£1.99
- Alternative Software Pack 1£1.99