Spectaculator, ZX Spectrum Emulator
By Jonathan Needle
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
In April 1982, Sir Clive Sinclair launched what was to become one of the most popular home computers ever made - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
Spectaculator takes you back to the 1980s - to the golden era of 8-bit gaming!
Play the following 22 officially licensed classic ZX Spectrum games:
- 3D Starstrike by Realtime Games Software
- Auf Wiedersehen Monty by Gremlin Graphics
- Avenger by Gremlin Graphics
- Bounder by Gremlin Graphics
- Cyclone by Vortex Software
- Dark Star by Design Design
- Dynamite Dan by Rod Bowkett/Mirrorsoft
- Forbidden Planet by Design Design
- Halls of the Things by Design Design
- Highway Encounter by Vortex Software
- Jack The Nipper by Gremlin Graphics
- Krackout by Gremlin Graphics
- Jekyll & Hyde by Zenobi Software
- Metabolis by Gremlin Graphics
- Monty On The Run by Gremlin Graphics
- On The Run by Design Design
- Revolution by Vortex Software
- Tau Ceti by Pete Cooke/CRL
- The Way Of The Tiger by Gremlin Graphics
- Albatrossity by Jonathan Cauldwell
- Battery's Not Precluded by Jonathan Cauldwell
- The Fantastic Mister Fruity by Jonathan Cauldwell
... with more available from the in-app shop.
Spectaculator gives you the most authentic ZX Spectrum experience available on your iPhone, iPod and iPad, and comes with lots of additional features:
• Universal App - runs on iPhone, iPod and iPad.
• Supports iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th generation screen.
• Play in portrait or landscape orientations
• Save your game progress (four saved game slots + one iCloud saved game slot per game).
• Save your progress to iCloud from one device (e.g. iPod) and load to continue playing on another (e.g. iPad).
• Enter pokes (cheats) for infinite lives, shields etc.
• Lookup game hints, tips and maps
• Play in black and white with TV screen simulation for the ultimate 1980s experience!
• Battle to the top of the (Game Center) leaderboards!
• Type on a virtual ZX Spectrum keyboard
• Use an external Bluetooth keyboard for playing adventure games
• Choose authentic cassette loading or fast play
• Program in Sinclair BASIC
• Enjoy high resolution graphics on Retina screens
• Play using an external arcade controller (iCade or iControlPad)
Additional Game Packs
The following games packs are available from the in-app shop:
Design Design Games Pack
- 5 Games. Includes Halls of the Things, Dark Star, Forbidden Planet
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 1
- 6 games. Includes Wanted! Monty Mole, Skate Crazy, Thing Bounces Back
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 2
- 6 games. Includes Jack The Nipper II: In Coconut Capers, North Star, Grumpy Gumphrey, Supersleuth
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 3
- 6 games. Includes Switchblade, Trailblazer, Super Scramble Simulator, Percy The Potty Pigeon
Odin Computer Graphics Anthology
- 9 games. Includes Nodes Of Yesod, Robin Of The Wood, Heartland
Realtime Games Pack
- Starstrike II
- 3D Tank Duel
Stephen Crow Anthology (Free!)
©1983-2013 Stephen Crow. All rights reserved.
- 5 games. Includes Firelord, Starquake, Wizard's Lair
- 6 games. Includes Alien Highway, Deflektor, T.L.L. (Tornado Low Level)
Zenobi Adventure Pack Vol. 1
- 6 games. Includes Aura-Scope, The Gods of War, Leopold The Minstrel
Zenobi Adventure Pack Vol. 2
- 6 games. Includes The Khangrin Plans, The Krazy Kartoonist Kaper, A Murder Mystery Weekend
Zenobi Adventures Vol. 3
- 5 games. Includes The Apprentice, The Bardic Rite, Jester Quest, Knight Life, Mutiny!
The following single games are available from the in-app shop:
- Carrier Command
- Dynamite Dan II
- Frank N. Stein
- Laser Squad
- Lords Of Chaos
- The Lords Of Midnight
- [NEW!] Bear Bovver
- [NEW!] Doomdark's Revenge
- [NEW!] Everyone's a Wally
- [NEW!] KWAH!
- [NEW!] Redhawk
- [NEW!] Skool Daze
What's New in Version 6.0.0
Refreshed for iOS 7.
Added more licensed games:
- Bear Bovver
- Doomdark's Revenge
- Everyone's a Wally
- Skool Daze
The BEST Speccy on the store
Still the best out there.
I'd like to see some features like I've mentioned in the previous review, but getting straight to the point of playing Spectrum games, this is the one.
--- Previous Review ---
Without question, the best Spectrum Emulator on the App Store. Don't believe the hype of other 'larger' companies, this is where the love for the history of Spectrum gaming & developers lies.
If I had a couple of requests, it'd be to the ability to sort game based on years, publisher, genre & other 'tags' such as play count so I don't forget to look back over my list.
I'd also like to be able to create 'playlists' or folders to keep games tidy as well as mark my favourite games for easy pickings.
Ooh, lastly a more iOS8 look' but that's not too important.
Just like the real thing - without the loading time
I’m a big Spectrum fan, and it’s nice to be able to play some of my favourite old games on my iPad. Having access to Sinclair Basic is lovely too - takes me back to my first attempts at programming.
My only complaint is that I can’t load in my old tapes and play them, but that’s Apple’s policy.
Well worth buying if you want instant nostalgia
Used to be 5* brilliant on my older iPad but on my newer iPad model it runs the games way too fast to feel like a real spectrum, and it renders a few of the games unplayable. Okay on the adventure games of course.
- Category: Games
- Updated: 14 September 2014
- Version: 6.0.0
- Size: 22.8 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Jonathan Needle
- © 2001-2014 Jonathan Needle
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Skool Daze£0.79
- Realtime Games Pack£0.79
- The Lords Of Midnight£0.79
- Odin Anthology£1.49
- Dynamite Dan 2£0.79
- Carrier Command£0.79
- Frank N. Stein£0.79
- Design Design Anthology£1.49
- Everyone's a Wally£0.79
- Zenobi Adventures Vol. 1£1.49