Spectaculator, ZX Spectrum Emulator
By Jonathan Needle
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
In April 1982, Sir Clive Sinclair launched what was to become one of the most popular home computers ever made - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
Spectaculator takes you back to the 1980s - to the golden era of 8-bit gaming!
Play the following 22 officially licensed classic ZX Spectrum games:
- 3D Starstrike by Realtime Games Software
- Auf Wiedersehen Monty by Gremlin Graphics
- Avenger by Gremlin Graphics
- Bounder by Gremlin Graphics
- Cyclone by Vortex Software
- Dark Star by Design Design
- Dynamite Dan by Rod Bowkett/Mirrorsoft
- Forbidden Planet by Design Design
- Halls of the Things by Design Design
- Highway Encounter by Vortex Software
- Jack The Nipper by Gremlin Graphics
- Krackout by Gremlin Graphics
- Jekyll & Hyde by Zenobi Software
- Metabolis by Gremlin Graphics
- Monty On The Run by Gremlin Graphics
- On The Run by Design Design
- Revolution by Vortex Software
- Tau Ceti by Pete Cooke/CRL
- The Way Of The Tiger by Gremlin Graphics
- Albatrossity by Jonathan Cauldwell
- Battery's Not Precluded by Jonathan Cauldwell
- The Fantastic Mister Fruity by Jonathan Cauldwell
... with more available from the in-app shop.
Spectaculator gives you the most authentic ZX Spectrum experience available on your iPhone, iPod and iPad, and comes with lots of additional features:
• Universal App - runs on iPhone, iPod and iPad.
• Supports iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th generation screen.
• Play in portrait or landscape orientations
• Save your game progress (four saved game slots + one iCloud saved game slot per game).
• Save your progress to iCloud from one device (e.g. iPod) and load to continue playing on another (e.g. iPad).
• Enter pokes (cheats) for infinite lives, shields etc.
• Lookup game hints, tips and maps
• Play in black and white with TV screen simulation for the ultimate 1980s experience!
• Battle to the top of the (Game Center) leaderboards!
• Type on a virtual ZX Spectrum keyboard
• Use an external Bluetooth keyboard for playing adventure games
• Choose authentic cassette loading or fast play
• Program in Sinclair BASIC
• Enjoy high resolution graphics on Retina screens
• Play using an external arcade controller (iCade or iControlPad)
Additional Game Packs
The following games packs are available from the in-app shop:
Design Design Games Pack
- 5 Games. Includes Halls of the Things, Dark Star, Forbidden Planet
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 1
- 6 games. Includes Wanted! Monty Mole, Skate Crazy, Thing Bounces Back
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 2
- 6 games. Includes Jack The Nipper II: In Coconut Capers, North Star, Grumpy Gumphrey, Supersleuth
Gremlin Graphics Vol. 3
- 6 games. Includes Switchblade, Trailblazer, Super Scramble Simulator, Percy The Potty Pigeon
[NEW!] Odin Computer Graphics Anthology
- 9 games. Includes Nodes Of Yesod, Robin Of The Wood, Heartland
Realtime Games Pack
- Starstrike II
- 3D Tank Duel
Stephen Crow Anthology (Free!)
©1983-2013 Stephen Crow. All rights reserved.
- 5 games. Includes Firelord, Starquake, Wizard's Lair
- 6 games. Includes Alien Highway, Deflektor, T.L.L. (Tornado Low Level)
Zenobi Adventure Pack Vol. 1
- 6 games. Includes Aura-Scope, The Gods of War, Leopold The Minstrel
Zenobi Adventure Pack Vol. 2
- 6 games. Includes The Khangrin Plans, The Krazy Kartoonist Kaper, A Murder Mystery Weekend
Zenobi Adventures Vol. 3
- 5 games. Includes The Apprentice, The Bardic Rite, Jester Quest, Knight Life, Mutiny!
The following single games are available from the in-app shop:
- Carrier Command
- Dynamite Dan II
- Frank N. Stein
- [NEW!] Laser Squad
- [NEW!] Lords Of Chaos
- [NEW!] The Lords Of Midnight
What's New in Version 5.3.0
Added the following single games to the in-app shop:
- Laser Squad (free!)
- Lords Of Chaos (free!)
- The Lords Of Midnight
Added a new game pack to the in-app:
Odin Computer Graphics Anthology:
- The Arc Of Yesod (both 48K and 128K versions)
- Nodes Of Yesod (both 48K and 128K versions)
- The Plot
- Robin Of The Wood (both 48K and 128K versions)
Easily the best app on my phone , I grew up playing zx81 and spectrum games and still own a big collection of them, it's brilliant being able to play classic speccy games on my iphone , it will never be as good as playing on an actual spectrum but it's a fantastic second best , the spectrum will never die it is the best gaming machine of all time and this marvellous app helps keep the legend alive . Fantastic
Great to play these Speccy classics with more to come. The app is superb, works with the iCade, a very polished product. Top marks to the dev Jon Needle. One of the best apps i've got.
Don't listen to the review by ginger tips. Obviously doesn't understand how it works!
To re-live these classics, written by boyhood heroes, is a real joy! This emulator is much better than the offering from Elite Systems and by the way - Steve Wilcox should be ashamed of himself!
- Category: Games
- Updated: 12 December 2013
- Version: 5.3.0
- Size: 23.6 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Jonathan Needle
- © 2001-2013 Jonathan Needle
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Lords Of Midnight£0.69
- Design Design Anthology£1.49
- Realtime Games Pack£0.69
- Dynamite Dan 2£0.69
- Odin Anthology£1.49
- Zenobi Adventures Vol. 1£1.49
- Carrier Command£0.69
- Frank N. Stein£0.69
- Zenobi Adventures Vol. 2£1.49
- Zenobi Adventures Vol. 3£1.49