Spell with Pip: An Oxford Spelling Game
By Oxford University Press
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*Featured by Apple as 'Editors Choice'*
Spell with Pip is the new spelling game from Oxford University Press which combines practice with arcade-style gameplay, and bright, beautiful graphics. For children aged 4-8 years.
Compatibility: Requires iPad 2 or above. Please note: this app is not compatible with iPad 1. If you are having problems with the app, please contact technical support at https://global.oup.com/education/content/primary/tech_support/spell-with-pip-app?region=uk where we will be happy to help.
• So much fun children won’t even notice they are practising their spelling, as they help Pip the Parrot get back to his home in the jungle.
• Children will love the vibrant and absorbing gameplay.
• Focuses on words that children commonly find hard to spell, based on the latest research from the team behind the world-famous, market-leading Oxford Dictionaries for children.
• Thousands of words to spell.
• Children can play again and again, earning stars and practising different words each time.
• Words become gradually more difficult across the eighteen levels.
• The fun ‘arcade-style’ game aids the development of hand-eye coordination. Pip the Parrot follows your finger and flies to the letters floating round the screen to collect them.
• The words that children collect are added to their very own dictionary on the app encouraging children to explore definitions and language.
• Includes the pronunciation of over 3,000 words from the ‘Oxford First Dictionary’.
• Suitable for users and learners of either US or UK English.
• The lively soundtrack can be muted, and audio is not necessary to play the game making it also suitable for those with a hearing impairment.
• Multiple profiles allow several children (and adults!) to progress through the game at different rates.
**Featured by Apple as 'Editors Choice' and in the 'Best New Apps’ category (January 2014)**
"a wonderful spelling game ... the dictionary is a wonderful feature." - i Heart This App
"Very, very clever." - Family Tech
"Both my sons don't even notice that they are practising their spelling skills." - Geeks with Juniors
What's New in Version 1.2.1
The following issues have been fixed:
- Letters continuing to stick to the bottom of the screen in certain circumstances. (making it hard to collect them)
Some correct letters could not be picked, some incorrect are picked too easily, timings are unrealistic, my little one got really disinterested in the game quite quickly. Dictionary is a joke - it is supposed to be understandable for a 5 year old, well, it is not as not a picture supplied, just a formal text from a formal dictinionary. Contacting the developer is a complicated matter....
Sound isn't working, very disappointing and no one helping to resolve it!
- Category: Games
- Updated: 31 March 2014
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 209 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Oxford University Press ELT
- © 2013 Oxford University Press
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.