Star Walk™ HD - 5 Stars Astronomy Guide
By Vito Technology Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***Over 8 million users! Winner of Apple Design Award 2010***
Star Walk is the most beautiful stargazing app you’ve ever seen on a mobile device. It will become your go-to interactive astro guide to the night sky, following your every movement in real-time and allowing you to explore over 200, 000 celestial bodies with extensive information about stars and constellations that you find.
Get started quickly
• Launch the app and point your iPhone at the night sky, you'll see the stars, planets, satellites, and constellations in their proper place from your location. As you move your device, the star map updates in real time. The Moon is the easiest first target.
• Tap Augmented Reality icon in the upper right corner to add the image from your camera to your sky view.
• Use Night Mode to go easy on your eyes and preserve night vision when exploring the Universe.
Go deeper and beyond
• Every object you tap has an (i) next to its name, tap it to access information.
• A scale on right is the Time Machine, slide it to explore the map of the night sky of tomorrow or years ago.
• A calendar of celestial events will make sure you never miss anything interesting.
• TelRad will help you find the exact position of an object when stargazing with a telescope.
Share your experience
• Project to a big screen with no picture quality loss. Star Walk is your personal planetarium.
• Explore stunning space pictures in Picture of the Day.
• There is an entire stargazing twitter community within Star Walk - don't miss out!
Duran Duran's keyboard Nick Rhodes mentions Star Walk as his favorite app:
"With the Star Walk app, if you hold your iPod up towards the sky, you can see all the stars and constellations. It even tells you the names of all the planets. Then, if you point it towards the ground, it shows you what all the stars are in the other hemisphere. It’s brilliant, and if you’re ever somewhere with a clear sky and no light pollution, it’s a revelation. It’s beautifully designed and makes clever use of the available technology. I’m fascinated by astronomy, but even if you’re not, give this a go."
What's New in Version 7.0.3
1) It is likely that ISON is not going to be the comet of the century. Nevertheless, we decided not to remove it from the app.
2) You can now turn on Picture caching in the Star Walk Settings. When caching is ON it will download the content only once and store it on your device. However when caching is OFF it will save you some space on your device.
3) Minor adjustments in texts and tables in Info to make them more readable.
4) Chinese localization improved.
This app is just amazing but improvement can still be made
This is just amazing. It's got everything the pictures that NASA has taken from the satellites and the way you can look around the galaxy in 360 degrees is just amazing, everything is so perfect about this app. It's also very fast at loading and whilst your using it. However they can improve it by letting people comment on the photos and adding other additional features such as... Make something more fun improve who ever developed this app think think think of something more to add because the only way is up. Maybe show the sky as if you were standing on earth and your looking for all the clusters and stars and what not. Would be a fun feature!!!
Quite simply the best app I've ever bought for my iPhone or iPad.
Starwalk is really easy to use and looks great. The series of regular software updates over the years have been excellent and have made improvement after improvement.
The only other improvements that I think would be good would be if the screen would stay in night vision red mode when the lock screen comes on (when this currently happens, the screen is back to full colour until you swipe back to the app so your night sight gets ruined, but I suppose that's an iPad issue rather than a Starwalk issue).
Also, it would be great to get surface maps when you zoom in on the moon or Mars, etc.
Visually stunning, the depth of information is just unbelievable.
And the way you can just point at the sky to find out exactly what you're looking at is a fantastic use of the iPad's clever tech.
Initially downloaded for 9yo daughter who's studying space this year at school, I now have on my own iPad and regularly check out what I'm looking at.
Brilliant. Just brilliant.
- Category: Education
- Updated: 02 December 2013
- Version: 7.0.3
- Size: 82.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Vito Technology Inc.
- © 2009-2013 Vito Technology, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.