At Starling, we knew banks could do better, so we built a mobile bank account from scratch for personal, joint and business. Voted Best British Bank and Best Current Account Provider at the 2018 British Bank Awards, our mobile banking app makes banking fast, easy, free and seamless – and it’s changing how people manage their money.
THE PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT.
This is a mobile banking app – but not as you know it.
• Keep track of what’s coming in and out of your account with instant payment notifications and a real time balance.
• Break down your spending habits with Spending Insights to budget in a better way and understand exactly where your money goes.
• IOU’s are simple and speedy with Settle Up, Split the bill or Nearby Payments. No card readers or sort codes required; just a few taps, a single link and you’re all paid back.
• Save for the things you really want with Goals.
• Make money go further with zero fees from us when you use your card abroad.
• Need a little extra? Adjust your overdraft to suit you with an in-app slider or get a Starling personal loan that’s straightforward to use, competitively priced and totally tailored to you.
• Think you've lost your card? Lock it in-app instantly then unlock it if you find it again.
• Send fast, transparently priced, cheap and secure money transfers to over 38 countries worldwide, straight from your bank account.
• Available for 16 and 17 year olds, too!
THE BUSINESS BANK ACCOUNT.
No fuss, no monthly fees, no three week waits. Apply in minutes to get a smart and straightforward business account that’s designed for sole traders and small businesses.
• With no monthly fees and no setup costs, you can save money while you grow your business.
• Deposit money at over 11,500 Post Office branches nationwide for as little as £3 per deposit.
• Manage your cash-flow with real time notifications whenever money enters or leaves your account (great for keeping track of those invoices!)
• Utilities, travel, entertainment; see exactly where your business spends most with Spending Insights.
• Simplified accounting with easy CSV exports that let you share your transactions with your accountant or accounting software such as Xero.
• No fees from us when you use your card abroad.
THE JOINT BANK ACCOUNT. (Currently only available for personal account holders)
Manage collective household expenses like bills and rent or save up for something big – however you feel like using it, our joint account is designed to simplify shared spending.
• Instant payment notifications help you stay on top of your mutual spending in real-time.
• See in real-time how much you are spending on bills; Spending Insights help you figure it out fast.
• Pool your rent and bills and make those important payments from a single account.
• Whether it’s a new sofa or Santorini – save for it together with Goals.
• No fees from us when you use your card abroad.
Your money’s secure with us. We’re a member of the FSCS (Financial Services Compensation Scheme) so up to £85,000 is protected if your deposit is eligible.
We’ve also been recommended by Money Saving Expert and featured in TechCrunch, City A.M Wired, Financial Times, Bloomberg, Tech City News and many more.
Starling Bank is registered in England and Wales as Starling Bank Limited (No. 09092149), 3rd floor, 2 Finsbury Avenue, London EC2M 2PP.
We’re authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 730166.
The headlines this week…
• All onboard! We’ve given our account application process a fresh lick of paint this week – it’s a lot clearer and easier to move through now (and looks nicer too).
• We’ve also added a few extra questions to your FAQs.
• Finally, in the (mildly paraphrased) words of the inimitable TLC: no, we don’t want no bugs – so this week we’ve gone at them hammer and tongs
Ratings and Reviews
I read about this app on moneysavingexpert. I’m a bit of a Martin Lewis devotee and if he says it’s good then why not .... I decided to use it in the first instance as a Travel card. I used to put everything on a Halifax Clarity C/C for the best exchange rate then pay it when I came home. No matter how hard I tried there was always a transaction I forgot about or underestimated. With Starling everything is instant (as long as data roaming is switched on). I absolutely love knowing instantly what my breakfast cost me, my lunch and dinner. It means that the £X limit you set yourself each day whilst travelling can be stuck to without the guess work. The exchange rate was very good and much better than I expected it to be. A pleasant surprise. It really does make holiday budgeting simple. It was accepted everywhere I presented it in Rome, even some of the tiny side stores. When I got home I found I had withdrawal symptoms - yes its a bit addictive. So now I use it as a sweep account and transfer the pennies each day from my other main accounts saving them into the Starling budget accounts for my next trips. There is something very satisfying and rewarding about that ‘ding’ sound as money instantly appears in your account seconds after you confirm a payment. Well done Starling. A great, great product. I absolutely love it.
Banking for the modern day
I don’t often review mostly because I’m frequently far too busy. But for this I’ll make an exception. This is the best banking app I have ever used. It’s well-designed, constantly being updated with new features and bug fixes. Many times when I’m wishing there’s a particular feature that would make the something easier, it’ll come out in the next release - like the ability to deposit cash in at the post office. Genius! Not least because when I went to deposit it in my other bank branch, they were closed. Despite it being a weekday before 4pm.
If like me, you often need to do things on the go, and don’t have access to that little card verification thing that most banks give you, that wants things to be simple and to have an awareness of things going in and out of your account (the instant notifications feature is a godsend for anyone self-employed, and saves you constantly having to check if you’ve been paid), I don’t think you can go wrong with the Starling App.
Easy to set-up, easy to use, and customer services was very helpful and prompt Jen I had some problems with my current account switch. Also, they’re open 24/7! Genuinely I can’t recommend it enough. Banking for the modern day, finally.
Customer support slow and inattentive
Opened my account about a week ago. Moved shortly after; went to my profile to update my address. Able to update it but when attempting to save it I got stuck in a loop with the app recurrently asking me to enter my password (even changed it to ensure I wasn’t entering it wrong, with no change). Chatted with customer support, told to phone. They noted my new address but I was later messaged and asked to agree for another soft credit check and to supply them with proof of address. Did so, as well as asked what would happen to funds which I had already initiated a transfer of from another bank into my Starling account. Took a few days before I heard back that the check had been approved and my address updated. Never received a reply regarding my transfer, however my other bank informed me that the transfer had not gone through.
Logged in to check the address - they’d updated it wrongly..tried again to update it myself but same issue when I entered my password. Wrote back early this morning, not yet heard back at the end of the day. In conclusion a slow customer service which is not paying attention to detail nor addressing all concerns raised.
I partly opened this account as I travel frequently; partly because I am fed up with poor customer service. Sadly seems the latter extends to these “modern” banks too.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review. We're very sorry for the experience so far and are keen to investigate further. Please get in touch with us via email@example.com so we can look into this for you. We're keen to help.
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.