Stellarium Mobile Sky Map
By Noctua Software Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The most realistic sky map to observe stars, planets and constellations!
Stellarium Mobile Sky Map is a fully-featured planetarium for your phone. It shows a realistic and accurate night sky map, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
The sensor control will also enable you to identify a star in just a few seconds, just by pointing the phone at the sky!
This award-winning astronomy application is finally available on iOS featuring:
* a catalog of over 600,000 stars displayed as a real time zoomable sky map
* a catalog of many nebulae and galaxies, with pictures for some of them
* asterisms and illustrations of the constellations for several sky cultures
* artificial satellites, including the International Space Station
* realistic Milky Way
* realistic landscape and atmosphere with sunrise, sunset and light pollution simulation
* accurate simulation of stars extinction, and atmosphere refraction
* 3D rendering of the major solar system planets and their satellites
* night mode (red)
* GPS positioning, accelerometers control of the direction of view in the sky
Stellarium mobile Sky Map is created by two of the original developers of Stellarium, the Desktop version of this famous astronomy and planetarium stars chart app.
What's New in Version 1.23
- Minor changes
Not as detailed as the PC version
Bit disappointed with this if I have to be honest. It's ok, but I bought it because other reviewers have said that it's identical to the PC version and I isn't, it's like a lite version with many of the features missing like shooting stars and the ability to customise the display as much. The PC version is better and free and the iOS version is £2.29, it should be the other way around.
This app is more or less identical to the desktop version, it's also very clear that a ton of thought has gone into the UI. Usage by touch is totally instinctive and intuitive. I think this is probably the best astro app on iOS at the moment.
Not as good as expected
Seems equivalent to desktop version - lots of missing function
Main loss is ability to centre to specific coordinates
Only searches target by catalogue name. £2.99 that could have been better spent
- Category: Education
- Updated: 18 January 2016
- Version: 1.23
- Size: 54.3 MB
- Developer: Noctua Software Limited
- © 2015 Fabien Chereau et al. (GNU GPL)
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.