LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. DIE.
Failbetter’s award-winning PC game is now on iOS! Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown. Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London.
If the giant crabs, sentient icebergs and swarms of bats don’t get you, madness and cannibalism certainly will. But that old black ocean beckons, and there’s loot for the brave souls who dare to sail her.
Betray your crew, sell your soul to a Devil, marry your sweetheart. Survive long enough and you’ll achieve your life’s ambition.
You will die, but your legacy will live on…
- A deep, compelling world packed with 350,000+ words of stories and secrets. Find your father’s bones. Determine London’s destiny. Defy the gods of the deep sea.
- Beautiful, hand drawn art: castles of sparkling ice, prisons perched on lily pads, fog-shrouded lighthouses and the DAWN MACHINE.
- Your captain will die. But you can pass on resources from one generation to the next. Acquire a family home and a hoard of heirlooms. Build up your own story across generations of zailors who braved the sea and lost - or won...
- Real-time combat against ships and Zee-beasts, spider-crewed dreadnoughts and sentient icebergs.
- Light and dark, terror and madness: stray too far from the gas-lamps of civilisation and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity.
- Upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, cannons and pneumatic torpedo guns. (Or buy a bigger, better ship.)
- Hire unique officers like the Haunted Doctor and the Irrepressible Cannoneer. Each has a story to tell, if you can draw it out of them.
- Choose a ship’s mascot: the Comatose Ferret, the Wretched Mog, the Elegiac Cockatoo, and more!
- Trade or smuggle silk and souls, mushroom wine and hallucinogenic honey.
- “Absolutely the best writing in any video game since, well, as long as I can remember.” (10/10 – PCGamesN)
- “A very compelling and satisfying adventure... The realm of possibilities seems endless, and every time I set sail I find something new.” (9/10 – Destructoid)
- “Sunless Sea's method of storytelling isn't unique, but it has never been realised with such impact and elegance.” (10/10 – Eurogamer)
- storylets now showing in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen now fixed
- fuel bar no longer resets to 0 after loading manual save
- no Zubmariner-specific ports should now appear on the chart
Ratings and Reviews
Utterly immersive and yet still fairly simple and easy to pick up. My favourite game at the moment.
Unfortunately this is an incomplete version of the game; the DLC available for every other version isn’t included for some reason.
I would highly recommend this game, as well as Failbetter's other game Fallen London, to anybody who enjoys narrative-based games. Much of the writing is incredible at creating a sense of atmosphere and a living, breathing world. With that said, mechanically this game has some issues. As others have mentioned, you spend a long time sailing between bits of narrative, with occasional battles of dubious quality in between. I personally still enjoy this, but your mileage may vary. Also note that by default, when you die you have to start again from the beginning. While you can retain some rewards from past playthroughs, you lose all quest and world progress. Finally, this port (no pun intended) has some significant bugs and I have experienced some crashes and excruciating freezing from tapping important HUD elements. Still, the writing is excellent, and the gameplay supports the eerie lovecraftian themes.
Developer Response ,
Hello! We would love to know more about the crashes/freezes you've been experiencing! Would you mind sending in a bug report with your device model to email@example.com so we can investigate this?
- Failbetter Games Ltd
- 534.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch)Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation) and iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2009 Failbetter Games Ltd
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.