tChess Pro is the high-quality, critically acclaimed chess game with the richest features for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. It's perfect for every player:
Not everybody is a chess master! Most chess games are too strong or just make random mistakes at easier levels. tChess Pro has unique algorithms to simulate human opponents.
tChess Pro has a top-tier chess engine. (Over 380 ELO points stronger than Caissa Chess.)
tChess Pro's Analysis Mode is like having a chess master in your pocket. You can get the engine's "expert opinion" about any game or position in real-time: which side is winning, and the best sequence of moves. Just like a professional desktop chess package.
More key features:
- Perfect for 1- or 2-player games
- Strong computer opponent
- Play against any ELO rating from 500 to 2500
- Integrated "Learn Chess" e-book app (Apple Staff Favorite!)
- Opening Library feature lets you explore chess opening theory as you play
- PGN Database feature lets you download and view PGN files
- Support for 3-stage time controls with Fischer increments
- Position Editor to enter positions from books, newspapers, etc.
- Save and load games; export them in standard PGN format
- Use the Profile feature to play rated games against the computer and track your progress
tChess Pro is developed by Tom Kerrigan, author of the TSCP and Stobor chess engines.
- Support for the iPhone X screen resolution and layout
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Terrific fun. Or deeply cerebral. Or both…
And that's just the game which this app enables one to enjoy anytime anywhere, conveniently, and in a visually appealing way, with great user interface, and a very good program.
I checked out a dozen chess apps before settling on this one and it has never ever let me down.
I basically just use it to practice and to try to remember different permutations.
It is a very good app.
Best Chess App So Far
Normally I take a chess set whenever I go on any long journeys but using the app, I no longer have to bother. The day the App Store was announced I've been waiting for a chess engine rather than just a chess playing program and finally we have one in this program. It means I can go over games from newspapers, magazines or even my own new ideas whenever I go out and have a solid chess program checking my analysis in the background. Good fun for a semi-serious amateur like myself.
Although not the main reason for my purchase, it also plays a good game too. On the top level it gives a good enough challenge for a quick Blitz game and I suspect it would be even stronger if I let it use the fixed move time limit rather than just the level settings.
A possible improvement would be the option to display more than one line of analysis although I know it would be hard to fit this all on screen. Perhaps a scroll bar showing the top 3 moves would be possible. Also it took me a little while to get use to the evaluation scoring. Most other chess engines gives all scores in terms of white (plus score = white winning, negative score = black winning). It can be a little confusing at first for the sign to keep switching as you go through a line of analysis.
- Tom Kerrigan
- 7.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Tom Kerrigan
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.