Start your child on their reading journey with Tap the Cat. Suitable for 4-6 year olds, each of the 9 playful activities builds and reinforces a different literacy skill – from letter sounds, rhyming words and phonics to colouring, vocabulary, speaking and handwriting.
Tap the Cat appeals to your child’s natural sense of play with a wide variety of different activities. Your child can match spaceship letters, drag letters to make words, hop a rabbit home, match words to pictures, build their vocabulary and paint pictures. Each activity will keep them motivated and engaged with colourful animations, catchy music, fun sound effects and reward screens.
With an emphasis on touch, Tap the Cat helps build the fine motor skills needed for handwriting as your child writes letters and words using correct letter formation, as well as colouring in pictures.
Featuring voice feedback interactivity, Tap the Cat helps boost your child’s word pronunciation skills, as they record their own voice, and then play back what they said!
Tap the Cat is brought to you by the makers of popular educational website Reading Eggs – a team of educators with more than 20 years’ experience in early childhood education, who believe learning to read should be fun, motivating, and full of success.
- Suitable for children aged 4 – 6.
- Includes 9 activities, playable at 2 levels of difficulty.
- Develops key early literacy skills including upper and lower case letters, rhyming, phonics, comprehension, encoding words, vocabulary, sight words and reading a book.
- Helps build essential motor skills through touch-based activities including handwriting, painting, and arranging letters to form a word.
- Your child can record and play back their own voice to practice word pronunciation.
- An extra special feature allows your child to create an e-book of all their completed drawings and recordings. Once all 9 activities are completed, this e-book will unlock and their writing, pictures and voice recordings will come to life.
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic app for children who are just learning to read, combining phonics and sight vocab. The book at the end was a brilliant surprise when my nearly 5yo finished the activities.
More levels please!
Good but limited
This is a great app, kids do activities that tie together into a story at the end seeing their own writing, own pictures and hearing their own voice narrate, or in our case yell, the story. That's all good - some minor niggles over the writing exercises that seem a little too sensitive (I sometimes struggled to get it in exactly the right place) but otherwise all great.
The disappointment for us was that on completing the second level it was all over. I expected there to be more levels, and would have liked it to include some arithmetic activities. Please make this more stretching for older kids - or better still launch reading eggs on the iPad.
Brilliant but not enough here
Both my children aged 3 and 5 have been enjoying this app, but my 5 year old finished all activities for both levels within minutes and was disappointed that there was nothing else to do, his little sister is enjoying it a lot though.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.