Terminology is a browser for the English language – part dictionary, part thesaurus and part research tool. Terminology makes it easy to explore words and phrases, diving down to more and less specific terms - accessing the web and other apps for more detail and sharing.
More than a dictionary, Terminology can be extended with custom actions to search the Internet and other reference apps – making it a great place to start all your searches.
Use the share extension to select text anywhere, in any app, and look it up in Terminology.
### Dictionary, Thesaurus & Search
- Offline U.S. English dictionary and word reference with simple clear definitions.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and deeper word relations such as: more and less specific words, part, part of, members, member of, pertains to and more.
- Favorite terms.
- Word browsing history.
- Add your own notes to any term.
- Audio pronunications.
- Wildcard (?,*) searching.
- Spelling suggestions.
- Fast, reliable, iCloud (CloudKit) sync and backup of history, favorites, notes and actions.
- Term of the day.
### Extensible Actions
Actions provide quick links to lookup and search your terms on websites and in other apps. Ready to use actions for popular reference sites like Wikipedia, Dictionary.com, Google, IMDb, Snopes and more, or create your own with simple URL templates.
### All the Latest Technologies
- Share extension lets you access Terminology from a text selection in any app.
- Today widget for quick access.
- 3D Touch support.
- iPad Multitasking/Split View support.
- Spotlight and Handoff support.
### More Features
- Extensive support for URL scheme integration via x-callback-url. Visit our website for details.
- Great support for Accessibility features like VoiceOver and Dynamic Text.
### About the Dictionary
- Terminology's offline dictionary is based on the latest 3.1 version of the Princeton University WordNet project and contains U.S. English words.
We love to hear your feedback, please contact us.
- **Change:** Remove all advertising and third party analytics from the app.
- **Fix:** Resolve several crashing bugs.
- **Change:** Require iOS 11 or greater.
Detailed notes on our blog, agiletortoise.com/blog
Help & Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
News and Tips: @terminologyapp on Facebook and Twitter
Review and ratings are always appreciated!
Ratings and Reviews
Adverts, when I’ve already paid in full
I bought this at full price. It was clean and worked well. But now it has adverts and you have to pay for a pro upgrade. How is this not a bait and switch ?
When other devs do this they have the courtesy of grand fathering in the early, paying customers.
It’s actually not even about the money - it’s the principal.
Now even better
As a blogger I've found Terminology to be an extremely useful aide, not least because of the close integration with Drafts. My only complaint was the interface. Now, in version 4, the look has been completely revamped and the addition of a share extension makes it easier to use from even more places. A must for anyone who writes anything on their device.
What a wonderful upgrade
Wow, I never thought this app could get better. Worth every penny for the upgrade. So clean and easy to use. Pushing for quibbles: I'd love some external keyboard shortcuts and reverse lookup (like Writing Aid app) would take this to a whole new level.
- Agile Tortoise
- 83.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2017 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.