TeX Writer - LaTeX On The Go
By Chaoji Li
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Writing and compiling TeX files on the go. No internet connection needed.
FULL TeX/LaTeX SUPPORT
- Supports both plain TeX and LaTeX, output PDF;
- Supports XeLaTeX (online compiling, requires PRO subscription);
- Fast compiler optimized for iOS devices;
- On-demand package auto downloader, including big packages like beamer;
- Integrated BibTeX/MakeIndex;
DESIGNED FOR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS
- A text editor designed for LaTeX editing. With syntax highlighting, innovative text selection, customizable assistant keyboard, powerful commands.
- LaTeX-aware spell checking (optional in settings)
- Handy image preview for inserting graphics;
- Support "Paste" images into editor
- Handy customizable assistant keyboard for inserting special characters.
- Open .tex file from other applications
- Dropbox and OneDrive syncing, with file comparison and manual conflict resolution
- PDF export/email
- Package download acceleration;
- Automatic eps-to-pdf conversion with online service;
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Length of subscription is 1 year
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication"
- Privacy and Term of Use: https://apps.texwriter.net/about.html
HOW TO GET HELP
- Visit https://apps.texwriter.net for user guide, and templates for russian, chinese, japanese.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to send bug report and feature requests.
- Or directly talk to @litchiedev on Twitter.
What's New in Version 4.0.1
- Fix crash when updating over an existing installation
- Add more options for folders
Very useful & fast
I initially balked at paying nearly £10 for an app that I wasn’t sure would do what I needed but I’m glad I took the plunge.
Handles the paper I’m working on with aplomb. Performance is impressive (although I’m using on an iPad 10.5) and the PDF previewer is very helpful. I’m not doing anything sophisticated with the LaTeX I’m writing but have not had any issues. It’s always generated the correct output given the input and correctly raised errors when I’ve made mistakes. Has also seamlessly working with the .cls file I’m using and bibtex source.
I’m using an external keyboard which I suspect helps a lot.
I’ve given 4 starts, not 5, as although the interface works I think it needs more tutorial or manual info to explain. I don’t always find it intuitive. For example, I’m not a fan of the bespoke select, copy and pasting functionality - I don’t understand why the app doesn’t just use standard iOS capabilities? I agree with other reviewers that it would be nice to have spellchecking integrated too.
Apart from interface improvements, my main feature request would be to support the PDF previewer side by side with the main editing window. Fortunately the app supports iOS split screen, so I have a workaround of export the generated PDF into a separate PDF app and displaying alongside Tex Writer. Not as nice though as automatically updating whenever PDF
is regenerated in Tex Writer.
So overall a good, productive app - with scope to improve and be even better.
A great step forward for LaTeX users on iPads
**Update for V4**
Further polish applied and still, by far, the best standalone LaTeX on the iPad (Pro). Very thoroughly recommended both for the app itself but also the high quality support when needed (which is very rare!).
**Update** - following the update to TeXLive 2016 this is now not just good but first class. I can now do the same work on my iPad as I can on my MacBook Air for virtually any project. I only say virtually as I've not found any limitation so far! Libertine font now works perfectly (see below...). I've now used this for a number of complex projects with lots of tikz diagrams, long bibliographies, acronyms and graphic-heavy Beamer slides.
I can thoroughly recommend this.
This is a good app - still improving but hugely helpful to my productivity. A few glitches and it freezes occasionally (esp under ios7 - I think this is related to Dropbox) but, unlike others, it uses the "normal" pdflatex (rather than more obscure variants) it produces high quality output. Beamer, in particular, produces accurate output unlike some of the other iPad apps.
One oddity is that the Linux Libertine font doesn't seem to work well but the TeX Gyre ones certainly do.
The configurable editor is very helpful (emacs-like code) and the principle could become very powerful. It would be good if there were to be a way of sharing personal macro definitions for the editor.
I'm already creating reasonably (or unreasonably, if you like...) complex documents on the iPad with this app and it means I no longer need a laptop to work on my LaTeX documents - a huge advantage.
Could easily become the best of the breed. Definitely worth trying if you're a LaTeX user.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 19 November 2017
- Version: 4.0.1
- Size: 68.0 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Chaoji Li
- © (C) 2012-2017, Chaoji Li.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases