Type faster on your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch® in any App using the TextExpander keyboard. The keyboard enables custom abbreviations to expand into long “snippets” of text, such as addresses, URLs, email signatures, and form letters.
** Requires a TextExpander account ** Keeps your snippets current on all your devices ** Sharing options let you share the wealth of knowledge stored in your snippets with your circle **
How does TextExpander work? Make an abbreviation “eemail” and have it expand into “email@example.com.” You can even insert today's date automatically with the default abbreviation “ddate”!
Use all your TextExpander snippets in Mail, Safari, everywhere, using the custom keyboard.
Use TextExpander snippets with any keyboard in over 70 apps with integrated support, including Byword, Dispatch, Drafts, Fantastical 2, Launch Center Pro, OmniFocus for iPhone, OmniOutliner for iPad, TaskAgent, and Tap Forms. See smilesoftware.com/apps for a complete list.
With advanced snippets you can even use fill-in-the-blanks to breeze through form letters.
"If you do a lot of writing and communication on your iPhone, TextExpander is practically required for efficiency." - iPhone AppStorm
- Expand custom keyboard shortcuts into frequently-used text
- Works in all Apps via TextExpander custom keyboard
- Expand text such as greetings, email signatures, form letters
- Correct typos automatically
- Insert today's date; even yesterday’s date
- Create snippets easily with the rich text editor & editing bar
- Use and search multiple snippet groups
- Add Predefined Groups such as autocorrect, accented words, Emoji, symbols, HTML, and CSS
- Includes keyboards for: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Includes QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layout support for English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish keyboards
- Use TextExpander’s in-app Notes with advanced fill-in-the-blank and formatted text support
- Automatically send your notes as email, text messages, and tweets
- Integrated support in over 70 apps, including Byword, Dispatch, Drafts, Fantastical 2, Launch Center Pro, OmniFocus for iPhone, OmniOutliner for iPad, TaskAgent, and Tap Forms
- Fixes keyboard sizing on iPhone XS Max
- Resolves crashing bug primarily affecting iPads
Ratings and Reviews
Poor quality sync
TextExpander is mediocre on the desktop but terrible on mobile. It’s an essential app that I use every day in my job on my PC because it does save time once you have correctly created all of the phrases. But on the desktop it screws up formatting when you copy and paste text from Microsoft Word or Microsoft one note. On mobile, the synchronisation of all of your saved phrases is very bad and not real time. You have to open the app on the phone to synchronise phrases before they show up on the text expander keyboard on the iPhone. It’s such a shame, it’s an app that I tolerate as if it’s a legacy application. It could be so much better, especially as I have to pay for it every year!
Sadly they keyboard is not the same as the standard apple one and it’s harder to use.
Please make it the same
Updated my phone and re-installed text expander and then to find out that it did not remember my keyboard expansion settings.
That’s a lot of work to organize all this again, not pleased
It's worth it.
I've just signed up for the TextExpander subscription model after seeing the discount available to users of previous versions, a retrospectively thoughtful touch unless I missed it first time round. I’d been looking for an alternative, as your original subscription was far too expensive for an occasional user like me. I was pleased to see the discount and am happy to be using the software again.
Whilst downloading your app I noticed several unhappy reviewers and have some sympathy for them. I have been using TextExpander for years, but trying to set up the iOS versions this time around has been difficult. It’s taken me a couple of hours to set up my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 5 correctly, through no fault of yours as it turned out. To get them working, I’ve had to wander your website, looking for solutions. I found them eventually, clearly explained if necessarily pedantic. I did nothing wrong, setting them up. It’s just a very tricky process that requires patience. 🤬
I’m sure most of the issues here are a result of Apple’s security decisions but Smile is bound to be at the receiving end of any frustrations as it is their app that doesn’t work. 😱 They are, after all, trying to impose their app into other apps in an environment that actively discourages such intervention. It works very well when both apps collaborate: I just wish more did.
If you’re a user, frustrated at trying to get this working, don’t despair. Just follow the instructions step-by-step. If it doesn’t work, you’ve probably missed a tiny step. I did, several times.
Persevere, because it is worth it. And when it does work the synchronisation between devices is great - a huge improvement over previous attempts across the Apple environment. I know, I’m a MobileMe survivor.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.