Three of the UKs leading accent coaches present The ACCENT Kit: an invaluable tool and resource for actors, and anyone wanting to learn an accent.
Edda Sharpe, Jan Haydn Rowles and Richard Ryder’s highly skilled yet invisible work, can be heard across the creative industries, from Game of Thrones to the Royal Shakespeare Company. They are on the call sheets for all the major international film and TV production companies and on the rehearsal schedules for leading theatre producers and directors. Simply, you couldn’t be in better hands.
The ACCENT Kit app is free to download and gives you access to a library of REAL AUTHENTIC ACCENT SPEAKERS validated by experts for authenticity and ‘usability’.
Build your very own accent library at the touch of a button.
Only buy accents that work for your profile and character.
Or use the app to record people reading The ACCENT Kit and build your own accent library for free!
Downloadable kits include recordings of authentic speakers demonstrating the five crucial elements needed to learn an accent, set out in a simple, easy to use structure;
• FREE SPEECH: a 1-3 minute story of personal interest in the speaker’s own words.
• FOUNDATIONS: the oral SETTING, the focal ZONE and the TONE of the accent.
• PRACTICE TEXT: the speaker reading a set text containing all the speech sounds and combinations you need.
• WORD LIST and SENTENCES: all the vowel shapes of the accent together with practice sentences recorded by the sample speaker.
• CONSONANTS and PRACTICE SENTENCES: six consonant sounds that can make or break your accent together demonstrated together with practice sentences recorded by the sample speaker.
Each element is user friendly, straight forward and easy to navigate.
Tap the question mark at any time for further guidance.
You can also;
• Record yourself practicing the accent.
• Store all your recordings in your own library of MY RECORDINGS and PURCHASED FILES.
The ACCENT STORE
Browse the shelves or search for an accent, read about the area and the speaker, and listen to a 5 second audio sample, all before you choose!
Only purchase the accent that is right for you and your character.
Each accent you purchase is yours to keep.
Samples are continuously being included from a spectrum of backgrounds and ages.
Can’t find the accent you need? Click REQUEST ACCENT and we add it as soon as we can.
Accents are added to the store on an ongoing basis…so keep checking the store for new ones!
- Fixed minor bugs with accents containing "/" character in store.
Ratings and Reviews
Marginally less broken: but still broken
Since the most recent update, the facility for restoring purchases now takes a bit longer before it fails. I get as far as 'downloading 0 of 1' before it hangs, whereas before it just hung. I still haven't been able to get at the accent kit I paid for, and there has been no response to my attempts to contact the publishers via email or Twitter. Is this app any good? No idea - I haven't been able to use it with the accent I bought. My advice is to not touch it until reviews start appearing saying 'works now'. At the moment it's like a vending machine that takes your money but won't give you your chocolate.
I absolutely love the accent kit. It has allowed me to get as close as possible to perfecting accents without having an actual accent coach by my side. Definitely the next best thing! It’s easy to use and breaks down accents really well, thereby making it possible to get to grips with each accent relatively quickly. There’s a good range and I’m hoping more will be added in due course - especially South African!
Lacking sufficient variety of accents
I really want to be able to recommend this app because it’s a great idea - but there are so few accents available in the store. Even those that you would expect to be there are missing. The other big problem is that nearly all the recordings are of younger speakers who often have very homogenised versions of their accent. Please give us more geographical variation and more older speakers!
- The Big Gob Squad Ltd
- 44.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The Big Gob Squad
- In-App Purchases
- DUBLIN CITY FEMALE 1 £1.99
- West coast male 1987 accent £1.99
- West coast female 1987 £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.