The Economist weekly magazine, digital edition
Users on iOS 10.3 or above can explore an expanded version of this app, incorporating daily and weekly updates, along with a morning briefing by searching for ‘The Economist’.
Readers can access their essential global briefing on current affairs, business, finance, economics, science, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
Download the free app to:
• Enjoy three free articles a week, including the cover leader
• Enjoy the content of the weekly newspaper in an easy-to-use format
• Save articles to read offline later
• Get alerts when the new issue is available along with notifications on cover stories, breaking news and analysis.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps
• Share articles via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
• The app presents a great digital native reading experience for readers allowing for font size changes, Night Mode and other convenient user friendly qualities.
In today’s changing world, the one thing that’s certain is uncertainty. Make sense of it all with The Economist.
• Purchase a quarterly subscription to the full edition of The Economist for USD $45.99 or an annual subscription for USD $189.99.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON IPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
• Added introductory pricing
• We hope to have fixed an issue where night mode and text size settings were not preserved across page swipes. Please let us know if you still experience this problem
Ratings and Reviews
Update. Still the best current affairs weekly. App is good. Still some bugs and ux improvements that could make it better, but overall I’m happy.
I love The Economist however this app doesn't further the brand. The problems with iOS 5 have been there since beta 1 was released so they have known about them for months. Why hasn't it been updated?! Also the single tap to go full screen drives me mad. It constantly jumps from normal to full screen during scrolling causing the text to move up or down the screen. I wish it was more like the iPad app, which is well thought out and generally excellent.... was that developed by a different company?
Crash, Bang, Pop
I have a deep affection for the Economist, and have used the app for around 5 years. I listen to the audio section when driving to and from work, but sadly the service has been getting worse and worse, and is now close to unusable.
This review was triggered by the latest bug, which stops the audio playing when the phone locks. So I get 3 minutes of play, then it fades out. I have to change my phone general settings and turn auto lock off just to be able to listen to more than one article.
The screen often freezes when trying to select which article to listen to and crashes of the whole app are common.
Regular Economist (audio) user
I regularly use the economist app and went from reading it to listening to the audio recordings. It works well and is easy to use.
There are a few concerns that have come up I’d like addressed. When using the night mode day after day, the app switches to displaying day mode when going to the next article. The setting is still on night mode, so you have to switch to day mode and then back to night mode each article (a nuisance). Restarting the app usually fixes this.
Using the audio recordings. The app sometimes gets confused and you have to flip to the next recording and back to get it to start. Also, moving between the audio interface and the actual article, sometimes it gets confused and loses your place in the article or journal.
Overall, however, a great resource!
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 24.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2018
- In-App Purchases
- The Economist £39.99
- The Economist £159.99
- Introductory subscription £44.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.