The Economist on iPhone (UK)
By The Economist
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Our app is free to download
• Read or listen to a selection of must-read articles chosen each week by Zanny Minton Beddoes, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist
• Subscribers enjoy full access to each week’s issues and analysis
A smart guide to the forces that shape the future, readers access an essential global briefing on business, finance, economics, science, current affairs, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
• Read or listen to each week’s full issue from Thursday 4pm EST/ 9pm GMT. Read or listen to each week’s full issue every Thursday, before it hits newsstands.
• Pre-download The Economist and enjoy offline reading anytime, anywhere.
• Seamlessly move between our reader and audio features.
• Store and access back issues.
• If you are a registered reader, you may purchase single issues using in-app purchase.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps.
• Purchase a quarterly subscription to the full edition for GBP £44.99 or an annual subscription for GBP £159.99.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON iPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
What's New in Version 3.2.11
Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
A mixed bag
When it works correctly the app works mostly pretty well.
Pros: Browsing to find the sections and articles you want to read is simple, and you have the option to download and listen to articles. Text size can easily be changed for accessibility and you have the option to swap between black text on white or white text on black, which helps to save battery life.
Cons: My biggest wish would be able to scroll by "turning the page" rather than manually scrolling down a long column of text. The current version also does not remember the last article you were listening to. Poor Q&A leads to app-breaking bugs with every other update, the current version forces you to delete and reinstall in order to download the latest issue, and the version before that fixed an issue where the audio would stop if your display was not left on.
Time to fire the app developer
This app has never worked properly. Now every time I need to download an issue I need to delete the app.
From the start the auto download feature has never worked and the app has been beset with a variety of bugs ever since I've been a subscriber.
Can't believe in this day and age the economist can't get a simple app right. Time to fire the developer and get some professionals in to run the show and protect the economist's reputation.
For those complaining about latest issue not downloading:
Delete the app, restart the phone (by pressing and holding on both buttons), and then download again.
- Category: News
- Updated: 26 January 2017
- Version: 3.2.11
- Size: 27.8 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Developer: The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Economist£39.99
- The Economist£159.99
- The Economist August 16th 2014 single issue£6.99
- The Economist June 25th 2016 single issue£6.99
- The Economist February 11th 2017 single issue£4.99
- The Economist July 2nd 2016 single issue£6.99
- The Economist November 12th 2016 single issue£6.99
- The Economist£10.99
- The Economist February 27th 2016 single issue£6.99
- The Economist£44.99