Each week over 1.5 million subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them with The Economist app.
Free to download. New users can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. Users on iOS 10.2 or below will need to update their phone to access the app. Otherwise The Economist classic app is available to enjoy our weekly edition.
Already a subscriber? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist details.
The Economist is a trusted, independent, finishable filter on world affairs, offering in-depth analysis of business, finance, economics, science, technology, arts and culture. Whether it’s the latest developments in the Trump administration, the rise of automation in the workplace, the economic impact of environmental change or the case for legalising drugs, The Economist has it covered.
• A morning briefing to prepare you for the day ahead (Economist Espresso)
• A daily selection of curated articles, combining news updates with highlights from the weekly issue
• Full access to the weekly edition of The Economist (digital and audio versions)
As well as full access to the weekly edition, the app includes additional daily updates with articles from Economist.com along with Economist Espresso, a morning briefing highlighting the most important things you need to know each day. All of the articles from the weekly magazine are available to listen to in audio, along with selected daily updates
FREE TO DOWNLOAD
Full app features:
• The weekly edition available every Thursday evening London time
• Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
• Daily Picks: a daily selection of curated articles
• Economist Espresso: a morning briefing published every weekday, and on Saturday
• Notifications of the latest cover stories and key articles
• Reading times highlighted on each article
• Bookmarking to allow users to save articles for later, or create their own collection
• Support for iPhone and iPad
• All users on iOS 11.2 or above can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. At the end of the introductory term, the subscription will automatically renew onto a quarterly subscription at the standard price
• Annual subscriptions are also available
You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Introductory offers, annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours before the end of the current period, at a cost of £44.99/$45.99/€69.99 (for a quarterly subscription) or £159.99/$189.99/€229.99 (for an annual subscription)
• You can manage auto-renewal of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again
Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Good content, poor app
The Economist is one of the leading news magazines in the English-speaking world for a reason: it’s well-written and edited, and has an invaluable perspective in times like these.
Unfortunately, this app is quite bad — it doesn’t work on iPhone XS correctly; words bleed into the time and battery indicators, and the audio controls are mostly off-screen the majority of the time, so it’s hard to control what you’re listening to or even see without going in to an article. That isn’t what you’d expect from a leader in news and comment — its a bit amateurish, and the XS is hardly brand new, so I’m not sure it’s too much to ask to see it updated.
Doesn’t cater to offline use or large screens
The app is nice and easy to use but does not pre-load images, something the old app does without any issues. Seems minor but frustrating on wifi-less flights where image is core to the article.
It also suffers from the same issue as the old app, on the largest iPad Pro there are huge blank columns either side of the content. Ideally you should be able to control this to maximise screen space.
The rest of the app works well and the content is obviously great.
Don’t buy the subscription through the app
Be warned - if you are planning on buying a subscription, buy it through their website - if you buy it in-app, you can only access the articles in the app, and not on their website as promised. After repeatedly emailing support they don’t seem to be able to help, so I am cancelling my subscription as this seems to be false advertising to me - if you say you can subscribe and view articles on the website, there needs to be a mechanism for doing so. Customer support is very poor also - it has taken over a week so far to handle the support case and we are no closer to a resolution than when I started.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 48.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Three month subscription £55.99
- One year subscription £179.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.