The Guardian and Observer Daily Edition app beautifully re-imagines the newspaper for the iPad. Each issue showcases our comprehensive international reporting, thoughtful commentary, award-winning sports journalism and unique approach to culture, science, the environment, media and technology coverage.
- New editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- On Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- On Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- Crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every day, including the Prize cryptic on Saturday and the Speedy and Everyman puzzles with the Observer on Sunday
- Full compatibility with Apple’s Newsstand service - background downloading of every issue so it's ready for you when you want it
- Copy and select text or look up words using Apple’s inbuilt dictionary
- Editions from the last month available in the archive
- All article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- Stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- In-article image galleries and interactive graphics
- Video embedded in articles viewable when online
- Share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- Swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- Related articles within the edition highlighted
- Related online articles open in an in-app browser
The Guardian and Observer Daily Edition is free for a limited period then available via one of our monthly auto-renewable subscriptions:
- £11.99 for full seven-day access, saving over 25% compared with separate Guardian and Observer digital subscriptions
- £9.99 for Monday to Saturday (Guardian) issues only
- £6.99 for Sunday (Observer) issues only
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Your account will be charged for renewal within the 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at the same cost as your chosen subscription
- You can manage your subscription via your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to the Guardian and Observer iPad edition
- The Guardian reserves the right to alter the pricing at any point
Please note - while Apple's Family Sharing feature can be used to share apps between up to six family members, it does not support the sharing of in-app purchases (as described in https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203046). This includes the auto-renewable subscriptions to the Guardian and Observer offered within this app, and you will therefore not be able to share any subscriptions purchased via iTunes Store with family members. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org who will be able to advise you further.
- Terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
Some small behind-the-scenes changes to social sign-in.
Ratings and Reviews
A better experience
I used to use the Guardian app. It's a fine thing but inevitably suffers from the social-media malaise which is eating everyone's minds: there are comments to which you can contribute so you spend half your life arguing with trolls, and you can select what you want to see, so you only see what you want to see.
The daily edition has none of this: it's just the paper, without the piles of old copies you need to recycle. That's a great advantage.
It would be nice if there was a single subscription/membership tier which got you both the interactive, commenty thing (which I still use via the web) and this, but that may be against Apple's rules.
Great content - would benefit from a few improvements...
Loving the content. To make the app even better, could you introduce the following features:
- A toggle switch for turning the online links on and off. Reason?this will help those of us who have come to the daily edition in an attempt to reduce screen addiction. The online Guardian is quite addictive as it is being continually updated which makes us always hungry to check online - not good for our mental health! With your online guardian links, I have found myself clicking them and this gets me back in the online Guardian with comments and constant updating ie. too addictive for those of us experiencing screen addiction.
- A way to make articles fill the screen at the touch of a button. Reason? I have to fiddle around to resize each article to make it fill the screen. This may be more of a problem on iPad mini as this has the smallest screen.
- A way to save articles at the touch of a button. This is possible in the online app but not in the daily edition.
For me content is 5 stars. App at the moment three stars but would give it five stars with these suggested improvements!
Loving the iPad app
iPad app is so much better than the normal Guardian app - much more like reading a paper so I have been really happy to subscribe.
Unfortunately, I now use my iPhone X everywhere, but this app cannot be downloaded on it.....I have been told that the format would not work but surely, if the developers comment that the format is for iPad but allow it on an iPhone, it is up to the user to choose whether they are fine with it?
This means that I am going to stop using the app and stop subscribing which I am rather sad about.
I bought the Saturday Guardian in a newsagent yesterday - a retrograde step!
- Guardian News & Media Ltd
- 35.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2017, Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Sixday £9.99
- Everyday £11.99
- Sunday (add on) £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.