By Guardian News and Media Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
NEW for Apple Watch:
Dip into a personal feed of stories, features, reviews, and live news and sport specially created for Apple Watch.
Get the whole picture the whole time with the free Guardian app.
Specially crafted for iPhone, iPad, and now Apple Watch, this app brings you breaking news and full access to all of the Guardian's award-winning content. Tailor your home screen with the sections that matter most to you, follow your favourite writers and stories for personal alerts, keep reading when you're offline, save content for as long as you like, and get personal, compelling content at any time on your Apple Watch.
• Stay up to date with live news and sport
• Enjoy the full range of Guardian content, beautifully designed for iPad and iPhone
• Keep reading offline
• Make it yours by choosing the sections and topics that appear on your home screen
• Be informed with breaking news alerts on your iPhone, iPad, and optimised for Apple Watch
• Follow your favourite stories, series, writers and football teams for personal notifications
• Browse award-winning audio, video and interactive content, as well as full-screen galleries, with stunning Retina-quality images
• Save any content you want to keep
• Read comments on articles and share your own thoughts
• Search by keyword, topic, series, section, or contributor
• Upgrade to the premium tier for our daily crosswords, specially curated content, extracts from Guardian Books, and an advert-free experience
Please note: this app is totally free to use. If you choose to upgrade to the premium tier - £2.49 / $2.99 (USD) a month or local equivalent - your payment can be taken immediately and processed by Apple.
• Terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
What's New in Version 3.4
NEW for Apple Watch
Use glances, expanded views, and optimised alerts to dip into a personal feed of stories, reviews, live news and sport, specially created for Apple Watch. Combining your personal homepage and our award-winning journalism the app gives you an engaging and always fresh view of the world.
This release includes:
- Further modifications to search
- Improvements to front pages
- More important bug and crash fixes
Absolutely beautiful and intuitive app. As a 17 year old girl reading the paper on my iPad is a really accessible and much more enjoyable way for me to consume the information, rather than on an actual broadsheet. Due to the elegance and ease-of-use of this app I have grown accustomed to the Guardian and it is my newspaper of choice- which arguably has influenced my political standpoint. Apps such as The Times need to up their game as such, as the lack of quality of their app could be losing them valuable readership- especially young people. The content of The Times may be much better, but that is overlooked when the actual app is a shambles. Bravo, Guardian. You've got my vote.
Light years ahead in content and UX
Outstanding content, User Experience and 'Live' functionality. Love the Condensed Layout feature and Widget used in the iOS Today view in Notification Centre.
Please introduce the option of a 12 month Premium Subscription deal.
Some minor things... The App tends to freeze for a bit when experiencing dropped connections in weak mobile signal areas. It's handling of this should be transparent and therefore could be improved.
We still can't customise the Headlines section on our home pages. We have a user definable home page so why can't we choose if the Headlines section is displayed?
Beautiful, Simple, Elegant: 10/10
Everything you could ask from a news app and more. Sleek design, with customisable homepage content, and very easy to navigate. Automatic updates provide news as it happens, right at your fingertips.'Live' updates are as close as it gets to experiencing real time developments. The grid format is great for text and photos alike. The app also encourages reader participation with GuardianWitness, which includes a fantastic range of photo assignments. All in all, a great app that provides an in-depth approach and wide ranging response to current affairs.
- Category: News
- Updated: 20 April 2015
- Version: 3.4
- Size: 21.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Developer: Guardian News & Media Ltd
- © Guardian News & Media 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- the Guardian App£3.99
- 12 month subscription to the Guardian iPhone app £4.99
- the Guardian App£0.79
- six month subscription to the Guardian iPhone app £3.99
- Premium tier subscription£2.49
- Premium tier subscription£11.99