The New Yorker Today app is the best way to stay on top of news and culture every day, and the magazine each week.
• Get a daily blend of in-depth reporting, political commentary, cultural criticism, and humor from the website.
• Read each week’s magazine and browse past issues.
• Receive alerts on breaking-news coverage by your favorite New Yorker writers and notifications about major pieces in the magazine.
• Flip through a nearly endless supply of New Yorker cartoons using the Cartoon Randomizer tab
• Access The New Yorker Sticker Pack: download the app, add the extension to iMessage, and liven up your texts with Christoph Niemann’s signature drawings and animations of city life
• Read articles offline and bookmark long reads to finish later
The app is free to download. Subscribers receive unlimited access. Non-subscribers may access a limited number of articles each month. Most current New Yorker subscribers have unlimited access to the app as part of their existing subscription. Subscribers with a print-only subscription may not have unlimited access. Users who have trouble accessing unlimited stories, or who wish to upgrade their access level may call Customer Service at 1-800-967-2082. All users have unlimited access to the Cartoon Randomizer, which does not count toward the article limit for non-subscribers. All users have unlimited access to the Sticker Pack, which is free to download and requires iOS 10 or above. A subscription costs $8.99 a month or $89.99 annually, and includes a 30-day free trial, after which it will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period and will state the cost of renewal. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s account settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable. Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
The New Yorker Today app requires iOS 9 or above.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Constantly refreshes and loses reading position
What is the point of being a publication whose selling point is your long-form articles, and then creating an app which constantly loses the reader’s position in the name of loading an issue which should already have been loaded and resident in local storage? It’s absolutely infuriating, and I have to wonder how much the app’s developers use their own product, for them to deliver such a usability nightmare.
It’s not enough for the app to remember which article one was reading, which is hardly any great achievement; it should also remember the exact location where one left off, as so many other similar iOS already do.
Brilliant content, finally in a great app (and up to date) format
It’s the New Yorker, so some of the finest journalism around, but the main magazine reader app (not this app) was so bad, I was forced to browse the website and load up Instapaper with articles, so I could read the magazine bookmarked, or offline.
NyerToday seems to have slowly but surely replaced the original app - which I couldn’t be happier about - it started with a nice curation of recent articles, has good typography, full screen display, bookmarking and maintains page/scroll status.
Unlike the other official app, this is kept up to date (e.g iPhone X compatible soon after X launch).
And now it has the magazine archive!
Want to leave 5 stars
This has many great features but for me is let down by a disorientating lack of navigation, on the website I can look at articles by books, culture, news etc but here it’s not possible to do so and this becomes quite frustrating
- 68.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2016 Conde Nast
- In-App Purchases
- The New Yorker Today £6.99
- The New Yorker Today £69.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.