The Photographer's Ephemeris
By Crookneck Consulting LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps you plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
TPE is a universal app with optimized user interfaces for both iPhone and iPads. With version 3.0, we've modernized the user interface to make the most important information easily accessible and easy to comprehend.
"Get it. This is a quality application that has been very thoughtfully and carefully designed." 5 Stars - BestAppSite.com
"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
"a godsend of an app for forward-thinking landscape photographers" - MSN Tech & Gadgets
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
TPE's map-based approach means you aren't limited to a predefined list of locations, which often miss the places many photographers go. Instead, search for any place name on the planet or position the map pin exactly where you want it.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will be visible behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time and direction of sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a wide selection of map types
- Two topographical/terrain map types
- Two offline map options
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Track curent heading using compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Does not require network connection for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import from KML or KMZ
- Location export via email as KML
- Display azimuths/bearings relative to magnetic north
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search: find when the full moon rises as the sun sets in a given direction
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Offline maps are not always available for the highest zoom levels
- Topographic maps courtesy of OpenCycleMap.org
- OSM map tiles courtesy of MapQuest.com
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- Future updates to TPE will require iOS 8
TPE for Desktop has been a favorite of photographers around the world for over five years. Now you can carry it with you.
What's New in Version 3.0.1
- Bug fixes
- Added animation to provide visible hint that timeline can be hidden by swiping down
Video tutorials are available at: https://vimeo.com/channels/photoephemerisforios
A new user interface for version 3.0 with some great new features:
- Maps can be rotated or tilted using two fingers, or press "go to location" twice to enable auto-rotate to north
- Search your saved locations and the web in situ in the redesigned Locations page
- Sun/moon altitude chart: slide to change time, tap once to adjust minute-by-minute
- Line of sight tools: enable geodetics and use the secondary grey pin to view an elevation profile with visibility analytics; tap to scale; double-tap to cycle through modes (Elevation/Altitude/Sun + Moon); use in conjunction with Visual Search to quickly find a time when the sun or moon will next appear over a mountain or ridge
- Shadow circle: shown automatically when adjusting time of day, it shows when sun/moon are below +6 degrees
- Object height and elevation corrections: new Shadows page allows you to set object heights at both primary and secondary pins as well as elevation corrections. Use this to plan your "moon-behind-a-famous-landmark" shots.
- Visual search: bursting with options to let you find the exact sun or moon alignment you need - check out advanced mode for high precision tools such as disc alignment
- Sharing: share your shot plan via iMessage, Airdrop, Email, Twitter, Facebook etc. Also, open in Photo Transit (iPad only), Email a complete shot plan, Add to Calendar, Export Locations
- Map types can be switched quickly by using the buttons on the right of the map itself
- Landscape mode is available on iPhones running iOS8
Please consider leaving us a review on the App Store - it helps enormously.
We hope you like the update. Send us your feedback and questions at email@example.com
Sadly past its best!
I used to use this App a lot for my professional photography. The user interface was simple and intuitive with option to store locations - a feature I used heaps. Similarly with my desktop Mac App.
Sadly these features have all been lost, with the demise of the Desktop App, becoming web based with "yet another" website to login to if you wish to save locations. The iPad App UI is now cluttered and all my saved locations gone without so much as a mention!
Well done coders for jumping on the bandwagon with too many bells and whistles and fixing the unbroken. This is still a very useful tool and fantastic for free but let's make it perfect once more - please, and no signing in to an account, I live in rural Devon with next to no mobile signal so forget me logging in on the go!! Looking forward to the new upgrades. :)
The missing link in my photography! I never can work out which way the sun is moving or where to go. A great aid to my photography planning...it was just serendipity before. Added bonus I can work out where to park my car so it ends up in the shade! A very useful and for my needs at least very easy to use.
Astounding app. You can view a plethora information, each item an eye opener. Indeed, it's so packed with eye-grabbing info it's a joy just to browse through it all. That said, it is what it sets out to do - provide an ephemera of essential tools for helping you get the best out of your photography, no matter whether a beginner or pro. Great.
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: 01 March 2015
- Version: 3.0.1
- Size: 39.6 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Crookneck Consulting LLC
- © 2010 – 2015 Crookneck Consulting LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.