The Wire is an independent, monthly music magazine dedicated to informed, intelligent coverage of a wide range of progressive, adventurous and non-mainstream musics.
Although The Wire is a London based publication, it serves an international readership.
The iPad/iPhone edition brings you selected pages from the latest issue as soon as it is published. Within the application you can upgrade to full access, which brings you every page of the issue and a searchable archive of every issue of The Wire published since issue one from summer 1982. Issues are not sold individually - for the duration of your subscription you have access to every issue in this archive.
During your subscription you can sync back issues to your device. These will remain in place if your subscription expires, unless your device removes them (for example when running low on disk space). Re-downloading issues requires a current subscription.
• Swipe or tap the page edges to flip to next/previous page.
• Use the animated thumbnail view to flick through the pages.
• Pinch or double-tap pages to zoom.
• Switch between single or double-page view.
• Search the current issue or the archive.
• Tap any page links to web sites, email addresses, phone numbers or maps.
• Tap contents-page links to jump to a particular article.
• Sync the latest issue to your device for offline reading (requires wi-fi).
• Sync additional back issues by tapping the stars beside their names (requires wi-fi).
• Network connection required otherwise.
We recommend first running the app within a wi-fi area so it can sync the latest issue to your device - after that you can use it anywhere. Subscribers will receive new issues automatically via Newsstand.
Subscriptions are available within the app at the following prices:
£3.99 per month
£29.99 per year
In addition, please note the following standard features of auto-renewable iTunes subscriptions:
• Your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscriptions will renew automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
and our terms of service here:
● Bugfixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Come on Wire- just putting on a PDF of the current edition is not good enough. No hyperlinks to the articles, no means of playing/streaming any content not even for the Wiretapper tracks and pages are very slow to load. [Updated: there are links to the articles- tap once on the screen and green dots appear, tap on the green dot and that takes you to the article. It is a very clunky set up and took some time to figure out.]
Great magazine, 5 stars for that. However, I find that navigation in the iPad app often fails after zooming in to read the text. I have to crash the app to turn the page.
The amazing thing is that I still do this.
Can't view any issues once subscription has expired
Don't be deceived by the statement in their description that you can continue to access some or all of the issues you've downloaded once your sub has expired, you can't; even if, as in my case, they hadn't been deleted. Here's evidence from their support:
"Exact Editions subscriptions work on an access model basis, this means that you can access an archive of back issues as well as each new issue while you have an active subscription. However once your subscription expires, you can no longer access issues of the magazine.
Daniel Hodgkin, Exact Editions Customer Support"
- Exact Editions Ltd
- 11.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- © Copyright 2018 Exact Editions Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- The Wire £3.99
- The Wire £29.99
- 30-day access £5.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.