Time Out - Break Reminders
By Dejal Systems, LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
You deserve a break. Easy break reminders, with flexible customization if you want it.
It is very easy to fall into bad habits when using a computer for hours on end. You care about what you are doing, so can sometimes push yourself too far, or over-strain yourself. The human body isn't built to sit in one position for endless hours, gripping a mouse or typing on the keyboard. Dejal Time Out is here to help. It will gently remind you to take a break on a regular basis.
Time Out comes with two kinds of breaks: a "Normal" break, typically for 10 minutes every hour, so you can move about and relax, plus a "Micro" break: a very brief pause of typically 15 seconds every 15 minutes, so you can remember not to tense up too much for long periods. You can change, disable or remove either kind of break if desired, and add new kinds of breaks, e.g. fixed lunch or afternoon breaks.
You can configure how long each kind of break lasts, and how long between breaks, and the breaks can be set to count backwards when you take a natural break, e.g. when you go away from your computer.
Version 2 features customizable break themes, with several variations to show during breaks. These themes can be edited if desired, using standard HTML.
While in a break, a progress bar shows how long till it is over, and buttons are available to postpone or skip the break if you can't be interrupted right then.
What's more, you can optionally perform various actions before, during or after breaks. You can display a notification, play a sound, speak some text, run a script, and more.
What's New in Version 2.0.2
* Scheduler improvements
- By popular request, increased the number of digits for the "Break for" duration and "Every" frequency on the Break Schedule page from 2 to 3, so you can enter 150 minutes to have a break every 2.5 hours, for example.
- Also added an option on the Exclusions page to automatically skip breaks that fall due while the screensaver is active, the display is asleep, another user is active, or the Mac is asleep. This defaults to on.
- Tweaked the scheduler to avoid App Nap interfering with idle detection and starting breaks when the window is closed and no status item is shown.
- Scheduler logging (in Advanced preferences) is now off by default for new users.
* Mac App Store fixes
- Fixed another issue that prevented purchases from working for some people with the Mac App Store edition.
Version 2.0 included far too many changes to list here; highlights include:
* Redesigned app icon
* Redesigned Preferences window
* No longer needs to be in the Dock
* New menubar status item
* Assign global keyboard shortcuts to start, defer, pause, etc
* Add any number of breaks
* Rename, label and comment on breaks
* Scheduling improvements
* Limit breaks to a time range
* Support for natural breaks
* Better appearance
* Customizable HTML-based break themes
* Redesigned & movable control panel during breaks
* Add actions to notify of due, starting or finishing breaks
* Enhanced app exclusions
* Several advanced options
* New supporter options
* Optimized for Yosemite and El Capitan
See the full release notes via the Dejal web site for details.
Fantastic, useful app
Really great app - definitely keeps me working more effectively.
Has incredibly versatile options and works seamlessly. Clearly a lot of thought and care has gone into making this.
One small thing I’d say (which really would make this a 5* app) is that it would be useful to add “viewing fullscreen movie or presentation” as an exception - as it’s annoying to have to manually pause it every time. Other than that, great work developers - keep it up.
Excellent app for productvity.
Taking breaks is all important for productivity. It also helps as a reminder to look away from my computer and stand up every once in a while. You’ll be surprised how quickly a break can come around.
The app is very customisable and the extra features are worth the support price. We need to help support developers if we like their work.
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: 25 March 2016
- Version: 2.0.2
- Size: 6.5 MB
- Languages: English, French, German
- Developer: Dejal Systems, LLC
- © 2016 Dejal Systems, LLC
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases
- 3-Month Supporter£2.29
- 6-Month Supporter£3.99
- 12-Month Supporter£7.99