Video Physics brings automated object tracking and video analysis to iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Capture video of an object in motion, then tap to track automatically. Video Physics instantly creates trajectory, position, and velocity graphs for the object.
Video Physics is perfect for science students and instructors. Perform on-the-go analysis of interesting motion. Measure the velocity of a child's swing, a roller-coaster, or a car. Or, take a video of a basketball free throw shot. Video Physics will display the path of the ball and provide graphs of y vs. x as well as the x and y position and velocity as a function of time.
Features of Video Physics:
• Capture a new video using the built-in camera, choose a video from your Photo Library, or use one of our sample videos
• Track an object automatically or manually add points to the video frame
• Set the scale of the video using an object of known size
• Optionally set coordinate system location and rotation
• View graphs of trajectory and x/y position and velocity
• Export video with points
• Email the video and data for further analysis in Vernier's Logger Pro software for OS X and Windows
• Open data files directly in Vernier's Graphical Analysis app
Quotes from physics teachers:
"Just played with new Vernier video physics app on iPhone - it ROCKS! I remember the day when this would've cost thousands of dollars to do ." Mark Hines @mhines, teacher
"You should check out Vernier's Video Physics app. Students can email video analysis data to Logger Pro; very cool!!" @willkomme, physics teacher
Vernier’s Video Physics app is slick. - Ryan Bretag @ryanbretag, teacher and administrator
App Store featured: Staff Favorite, New and Noteworthy, and What's Hot!
2012 CODiE Awards Finalist - Best Educational Use of a Mobile Device
Hints for taking useful videos:
• Objects that are very different than their background (black/white) work best for automated tracking. It is also helpful to use a background with uniform color and shading. See our sample videos for examples.
• Do not move the camera. Analysis assumes the camera is fixed in position.
• The object in motion should remain approximately in a plane perpendicular to the viewing direction.
• Place an object with known dimensions, such as a meter stick, in the same plane as the motion. Use this to scale the video.
Video Physics is intended for use in science education. The video analysis done in Video Physics provides a useful technique for studying two-dimensional kinematics. You can do even more with Vernier's Graphical Analysis app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch or with Logger Pro software for Mac OS X and Windows.
• Restored data export to legacy Graphical GW application
• Clarified purpose of .cmbl file export
Ratings and Reviews
Crashes every time
Trying to use any video than the example videos and this app crashes every single time immediately.
Nice concept but too restricted
I teach Physics so was looking for an app to help teach motion graphs. This was recommended to me and at first I loved it but I soon realised that once you have tracked the motion there is very little you can do with it. You cannot export it to anything other than Verniers own software (which costs a ridiculous amount) which leaves this as a mere gimmick.
Simple and intuitive
Nice interface. Mine crashes when using sample vids, but I haven't updated to OS 4.3 yet, so hoping that will fix it. Otherwise excellent tool for school.
- Vernier Software & Technology
- 32.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) and iPod touch (6th generation).
- English, French, German, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2019 Vernier Software & Technology, LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.