View from the Train
By Scottish Natural Heritage
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
View from the Train offers you a unique insight into the landscapes, nature and culture seen from some of Scotland’s main rail routes. Each route contains a series of four minute audio chapters covering stations on the journey. The guides cover a wide range of topics and tell interesting stories about Scotland’s history and culture, its landscapes and wildlife.
From the Clyde shipyards, to wading birds on the estuary; or the grouse moors of the highlands to the gaelic poetry inspired by the landscape, the stories describe the links between man and Scotland’s rich natural environment.
The stories are narrated by well-known broadcasters Fiona MacDonald and Mark Stephen and include poetry and sound effects as well as sounds of the natural world.
The app includes
• stunning images from noted photographers showing Scotland’s diverse wildlife, landscapes and places of historical interest.
• interviews and snippets from experts and enthusiasts. Listeners can hear from bird experts, a distiller, a countryside ranger and a broadcaster, among others, as they share their knowledge and passion about the natural world and natural resources of Scotland.
This app is available for iPhone and iPad.
Please note, this app requires a wifi connection for download.
What's New in Version 2.2.0
A new route has been added: Inverness to Wick.
A great idea poorly done
A line by line view from the train on some of the best scenic railway route in Scotland, what a great idea and really useful App.
Sadly not enough knowledge of how Apps are used and in App functions a can be utilised to advantage. A missed opportunity to capitalise in the tourist App market. Asking people to download huge files, with in App content, rather than links to web or cloud based details and images. Functionality is slow and no consideration has been made on the balance of in App content and links to content. Developers should have advised on poor download speeds, on size of downloads and balance of content. I expect a poor brief to developers have delivered a great idea but technically poorly managed. App review score 3 out of ten
- Category: Travel
- Updated: 08 December 2013
- Version: 2.2.0
- Size: 209 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Developer: Scottish Natural Heritage
- © Scottish Natural Heritage
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.