At Virgin Trains we like things that are simple, handy and snappy. That’s why, when you book through our ad-free app, you’re guaranteed the best prices for our trains, can forget about booking fees, and rest easy with our Automatic Delay Repay service*.
Buy train tickets
• We don’t want to limit your adventures, so you can book tickets for any UK rail provider, not just us. Although we’d miss you.
• We’ll remember your favourite journeys and find you the cheapest prices for them
• You can grab last minute tickets for when you’re feeling spontaneous right up until just ten minutes before departure
• But if you book in advance, you’ll always save some serious cash*
Live Train Times and real-time updates
• Check real-time train information for all stations across the UK, right down to the platform where your train will be waiting for you
• Get up-to-date information on any delays across the whole rail network
Manage your bookings
• See what journeys you’ve got coming up in our easy to understand interface
• Change the date and/ or time of selected tickets when your plans change
• Apply for refunds
• Have your tickets sent straight to your mobile
• Download tickets to your Apple Wallet
• Or, if you’re feeling retro, send yourself an e-ticket that you can print
Found a hitch or a glitch in our app? Please let us know. We’re always keen to hear suggestions. Contact our tech wizards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Only available on Advance tickets for a Virgin Trains-only journey.
*Advance fares may not be the cheapest if there’s a Seat Sale on.
In this update, our tech wizards have been zapping a few bugs. Look out for another release coming to a device near you soon packed full of features that'll make booking and managing your journey even faster and more relaxing - just like our trains.
Ratings and Reviews
Why am I still using this app?
Well, I live in Scotland and I should be using ScotRail app instead, and I’m using this one instead, and I’ll keep using it, because it’s better. It works, for once (don’t take it for granted!). Every tab in the app has a function and it works (except the very first tab, it’s useless, they could easily plug these favourites somewhere right under the search form instead of occupying the whole tab I never switch to anyway). But the main thing, when I need train times, I can get it with this app. When I need the platform number, I can get it. When I need to plan a longer journey, it works. And in ScotRail app, I would open the search form, I tap the field to enter the station, and the field won’t open. So, you people down in England should be grateful, for you have the app that actually works. Stop complaining.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback, it’s really helpful.
We listen to all the feedback we receive and have passed your comments on to our developers who are working hard behind the scenes to add new features and improve the App experience.
The Virgin Trains Team
Virgin Trains Don’t Care About Their Vision Impaired Customers Using Voiceover
I have engaged with Virgin Trains before on the lack of accessibility. I even sent them a video complete with screen recording and my commentary on what the problems were around accessibility. I also said they were in breach of the equality act 2010. Turns out they were more interested in researching as to whether or not they were in breach by doing nothing to make the app more accessible than just going ahead and fixing the issues. They also sent me a voucher for a first class return ticket for flagging up the issues... I didn’t use the voucher as I thought it was morally reprehensible to do so given that the app is pretty much inaccessible to this day. Even some of the train managers on the regular journey I take with Virgin are amazed that the company they are so passionate about is so unconcerned as to equal access to all areas of the services they provide. Oh well... I’ll just keep using TrainLine I guess and having to pay them an admin fee for my ticket but, at least they have complete accessibility to their app.
Developer Response ,
Hello from Virgin Trains. We'd really like to speak with you about these concerns. Please could you email email@example.com so we can open correspondence. Thanks the Virgin Trains Team.
Mostly pretty good
I use the app a lot and in the main it’s pretty good. The main issues I have experienced are:-
• Switching to tickets page for tickets which are already downloaded and activated can sometimes take a long time, particularly annoying when the conductor asks to see your ticket, wasting everyone’s time.
• The app doesn’t save seat preferences, it seems highly unlikely that most regular users who would benefit from this feature would not keep the same seat preferences for the majority of their journeys.
• I am convinced the seat preferences on the app actually do not work, I have never received my seat preference using the app (window, quiet coach) no matter how far in advance I book my ticket. Using the website I receive the majority of my seat preferences.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.