VLC for iOS
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
VLC for iOS is a port of the free VLC media player to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
It can play all your movies and shows in most formats directly without conversion.
It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, iTunes, direct download and through an embedded upload web server as well as streaming from UPnP media servers.
VLC on iOS is completely free and open source.
What's New in Version 2.3.0
This version adds:
* Folders for media
* Support for password protected HTTP streams
* An option to disable playback control gestures
* An option to use bold subtitles
* Better UPnP detection
* Support for m4b, caf, oma, w64 audio and mxg video files
* New translations to Latvian, Romanian and British English
This version fixes:
* Serial ftp downloads
* Twonky UPnP servers downloads
* Playback control in lock screen and multi-tasking view
* Playback pausing when headphones are unplugged
* WiFi upload speed and control
* Numerous crashes and UX tweaks
VLC is a great app and is working wonderfully but it would be nice to be able to turn the gestures off without it getting annoying because it locks out the control by making it unable to detect when the screen has been touched so you can't pause or exit the video once the interface fades out of view so you have to restart your device or wait for the video to finish unless it is in a playlist, and once the device has restarted you have to turn the gestures back on which get annoying if you have to brush something off the screen and it either messes with the fast forward, rewind volume or brightness control.
I love VLC, especially with the recent google drive integration. So far it has played/streamed everything I have thrown at it, especially when other apps (I'm looking at you official google drive app) can't play a certain file.
However, there is one MAJOR feature this app lacks: the ability to play files in the background, meaning you have to stay in the app. I would be very happy if the devs added this functionality (and not just for audio files, sometimes you want to listen to the audio of a video whilst in another app ex. music videos).
Also, the ability to sort the google drive access in alphabetical order/recent).
Flexible Fast and FANTASTIC!!!
If only there was more software like this. You can now upload any files from any PC, very quickly with no nonsense and this baby will probably open them whereas a hundred other (paid) apps would stutter. Top stuff!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: 18 April 2014
- Version: 2.3.0
- Size: 40.2 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bosnian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Malay, Marathi, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: VideoLAN
- © VideoLAN and authors
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.