VLC for Mobile is a port of the free VLC media player to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
It can play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion.
It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud Drive, iTunes, direct downloads and through WiFi sharing as well as streaming from SMB, FTP, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web.
VLC offers support for advanced subtitles including full SSA compatibility, multi-track audio, and playback speed control.
VLC for Mobile is completely free and open source.
· Added Corsican language
· Fixed a crash when reordering files outside of folders
· The Media title is now always visible when streaming to an external display
· Various Stability improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
does the job I need it for but...
Downloaded this so I can watch a series that is in the file format .MKV as it doesn’t work normally on the iPad.
Was very easy to get the videos to my iPad, just dragged and dropped in iTunes, but when playing the video in the app and pausing the sound stutters and jumps around, even when the app is closed completely and the iPad is locked.
When the video is playing it’s fine, but pausing the video causes the sound to glitch out. I haven’t found a real way to stop this issue other than randomly pressing the pause/play button multiple times (sometimes up to 20 times to get the sound to stop) or just restarting my iPad which is easier but also really frustrating as it wastes time.
As I said, it does the job I need it for but as soon as I finish watching the show I have on here I’m definitely uninstalling.
My go to movie player, but needs iPad Pro 11 update
As per the title, VLC has been my main app for collating video files for a long time now, but its not without its problems.
- having just got my new 11 inch iPad Pro the app is not yet optimised for it and I’m left with black boarders round the edge of the screen and the white bar at the bottom.
- I also find it temperamental when it comes to renaming files, ie it often doesn’t work.
- trying to arrange files into folders seems to be a dark art. Often get error messages about it not liking 2 file types or something as I add a new file to a folder, yet if I delete all those files and re add them all together they will then often then all form a folder. It would be great if folders just worked!
TVOS Update awful
Would give 0 stars if possible, and to drop from 5 stars previously as was the most excellent app for UPnP with my TechniSat satellite receiver.
Since the TVOS update this app has become useless to me. Can no longer scroll down to give options to change language subcarriers of programs recorded on my TechniSat satellite receiver, change camera angles etc..
Can no longer stream live channels and change sound subcarriers, as some have audio description as channel 1, and for German tv sound subcarrier 2 has English. Further can no longer select subtitles as the drop down box is no longer available.
This app was near to perfect but since update, now useless to me.
Would be happy to pay a premium to allow previous features, only if live streaming is still supported, ability to change sound subcarriers, to turn on subtitles, but also to list channels in in pre-saved order by channel number, rather than having to use alphabetical order, and add digital coding for the epg to show and provide full channel guide.
Guess I’m gonna have to try several other apps again to give me Near perfect UPnP service I was receiving, went through about 20 free and paid for, but not one came close to this app which WAS excellent!
- 135.1 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bosnian, Cambodian, Catalan, Corsican, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Malay, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © VideoLAN and authors
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.