Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
- Bug fixes and minor enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
As a totally blind avid book reader, I have been a long time user of both laptops and desktops. It is not very convenient to carry a laptop everywhere you go, especially if you’re on a nice sandy beach. This app makes it possible for me to read books where ever I am and four hours at a time. I would not be without it it is a truly incredible app and I can now take a huge collection of books in my pocket where ever I go. It is easy to navigate and has a wealth of different voices for you to find the one that suits you best.
Top e-book reader
Top in accessibility, easy to use and full of great features, voice dream reader is the most frequently used app on my iPhone.
The thing to realise is that it can't play protected audio. That's also true for drm protected e-books.
That is a limitation supper-emposed by content providers and it is an issue effecting people with reading difficulties,regardless of operating system.
One last thing that is important to me, I'd rather read a pdf file using vd than using my laptop with either NVDA or JARS.
That says a lot about how important vd is for me.
I’ve tried them all, get this one
TL;DR — I’ve tried them all, get this one.
I love reading the news but don’t have enough time to read all the big scoops and long-form articles I’ve saved on Pocket.
Now with a few clicks I can have all those stories read to me like an on demand ebook while I do laundry or run errands or just hangout with my dog. It’s ***** awesome.
Text to speech/natural language processor technology is getting crazy. The developers of this app 100% deserve the fee for this app. Best £ I’ve ever spent in the app store.
And I’ve tried all similar apps in this category, none come close to this.
P.S. My favorite voice option is the woman with the Australian accent. It’s an extra pound or two but again, zero regrets. Best cost to value ratio on something I’ve purchase in years.
- Voice Dream LLC
- 220.4 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Voice Dream LLC 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice) £4.99
- Bridget (NeoSpeech British English Voice) £4.99
- Hugh (NeoSpeech US English Voice) £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.