Waze Social GPS, Maps & Traffic
By Waze Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Waze is a fun, community based mapping, traffic & navigation app. With millions of drivers from across the globe joining forces to outsmart traffic, save time, fuel money, and improve daily commuting for all.
By simply driving around with Waze open, you're already contributing tons of real-time traffic & road info to your local driving community. You can also actively report accidents, hazards, police and other events you see on the road, and get road alerts on your route too. Find the cheapest petrol station along your route with community-shared fuel prices. Waze also makes it fun and simple to meet up and coordinate with friends on the road.
It's all about contributing to and benefiting from the 'common good' on the road, so hop on board and get involved in your local driving community today!
- Live routing based on community generated, real-time traffic and road info
- Community contributed road alerts including accidents, hazards, police activity, road closures and more
- Complete voice guided navigation
- Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change
- Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours and preferred routes
- Finds the cheapest petrol station along your route
- One tap navigation to Facebook events.
- See Facebook friends driving to the same place
- Notify someone you're on your way by sending a live ETA and a link showing you as you drive
- Earn points and move up the ranks in your community as you contribute road info
- Live maps, constantly edited and updated by Waze community map editors
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Waze will automatically shut down if you run it in the background and haven't driven for a while.
What's New in Version 3.7.8
- Sync Calendar with Waze - events with locations are automatically added for one tap navigation when it's time to go
- Bug fixes
Great app - very useful
Having used TomTom, Google Maps and Apple's Maps, Waze is the only consistent app that actually directs you the quickest route. City traffic where I live is horrendous any time of day, Google & Apple maps insist on directing me down the busiest roads (main dual carriage way into the city), with overly optimistic journey times. Waze directed me the opposite way, zig zagging across (30 min journey compared to nearly an hour). It's eta is realistic. Not always perfect, but seemingly more consistent.
It could always do with more users (actively reporting traffic or not) - especially those doing school runs in morning!
Minor bad points:
- difficult to report traffic on slip roads (as opposed to main carriageway).
- favourites are fiddly to update.
- The main screen still lists journeys from a year or so ago, not recent ones (nor recently searched/entered).
- search can be slow to refine (it could be more intelligent, like I want to drive to contact called Gary, not Gary the USA town 3,000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean. Or be more accurate ("co-op food" is 348miles away Or "co-op" nearby aren't actually closest) it would be great to see all results on the map too.
- it doesn't seem to remember sound options between updates (eg, set to alerts only), but it remembers other settings.
I use it everyday, it's a great app! I tried the journey sharing option the other day - thought it was a great idea and it worked well.
One key thing is missing!
This would be a five star app no doubt about it. For why not, see the second paragraph... I use this every day because of its natural best route determination based on road speed and reports from others, and I do love to warn others of hazards o come across, it makes for safer roads!
But why four stars? Reporting is ace but this app handles non 3G poorly and most intercity travelling is without 3G. In such an area, waze must still let us report things. Currently it just stops you from doing so due to "no network". No, please, please enhance this so that, if waze cannot contact the servers, it stores the report in a local cache and will send all such reports when a network connection is made. I very often am in a non 3G area and want to report a hazard, roadworks, etc, but am unable to share my alerts or updates and it is frustrating when the app says "please try again later." Like, um, how?
Best navigation for pioneer app radio
Recently had a pioneer head unit with app radio fitted to my car but was very disappointed with the navigation apps that were available, basically they did not work well. I then tried Waze not really expecting to much but how wrong I was this app works fantastically giving very accurate vehicle position and excellent voice prompts. I had lost all hope of using my new pioneer app radio to navigate until I installed Waze. So in conclusion if you have an app radio this is the navigation app you should be using.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: 26 February 2014
- Version: 3.7.8
- Size: 26.3 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: waze
- © Waze Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.