The what3words app helps you find, share and navigate to any precise location.
We’ve given every 3m x 3m in the world a unique 3 word address. This simple and accurate way to talk about location makes it easier to meet up with friends, discover and tell others about amazing places, and explore the world without getting lost.
You’ll see 3 word addresses displayed by hotels, restaurants, travel guides and websites. They can be used in 20+ languages and are much simpler to remember, use and communicate than regular addresses. They’re also far more accurate and reliable.
Use the app to:
- Find your way to anywhere in the world, even where street addresses don’t exist
- Tell your friends precisely where your picnic is
- Always find your tent at festivals
- Tell your taxi exactly where you want to go
- Plan and share your off-roading or hiking waypoints
- Know exactly where you parked your car
- Get deliveries to a specific entrance
Key App Features:
- Compatible with navigation and messaging apps including Google Maps and Apple Maps
- Search for 3 word addresses or street addresses
- Save your favourite locations
- AutoSuggest feature prevents mistakes
- Available in 20+ languages
- Offline navigation with compass mode
If you experience any problems or have any questions, please get in touch with email@example.com
We’ve made it quicker to edit the labels of your saved locations, introduced Mapbox (BETA) as a map type option.
Plus we’ve continued to improve app stability by fixing some bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Addressing made simple!
What3words is a fantastic way to discuss location. There’s no need for complicated descriptions, erroneous addresses or lengthy coordinates. Simply open the app, press the locator arrow, and BOOM! Your local 3m x 3m grid square is addressed 😎👍 Perfect for tagging your car in a car park, letting family and friends know where *exactly* to meet at an event, or simply to let people know where you are in the countryside.
This breakthrough new way of discussing location is making waves across society, both in industry and emergency services, so the more we use it the quicker everyone will adopt it. It’s great, it’s free, and it’s so useful!
For shoppers or site-seers, I’d highly recommend the partner “3WordPhoto” app, as you can snap your newfound bargain or favourite vista, and instantly be able to locate it again in future!
Fun but also extremely practical
I found out about this app after a friend of mine on a neighbouring farm had a stroke and despite being told not to follow the postcode the emergency services did so and arrived at the wrong farm. My friend found out about this app and felt medical help could have been given much quicker if the 3 word location had been used. However I am not sure if the emergency services have this yet in the UK so my interest was more out of curiosity than anything. It is a joy, just as a linguistic play. The randomness and spookily appropriate nature of the words generated is a joy. I recommend this to anyone who has a love of language.
This is really, really clever and a great boon if one is trying to describe a precise location to a distant co-worker or delivery driver. The most recent update now enables one to save locations with a brief description, and delete old searches, which was not possible before. The location saving process is a bit fiddly, but it works, I am sure refinements will be coming in the future, it would be good to be able to group locations in folders etc.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your support and feedback - with our latest update you can now clear your recent searches and save locations to your account. Hope you continue to enjoy using the app!
- What3Words Limited
- 176.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Mongolian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Xhosa, Zulu
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © (C) 2018 what3words Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.