By Kingston Digital, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Wi-Drive® App (1) provides wireless portable storage and file sharing for iPod touch®, iPad® and iPhone®. Wirelessly store and share your favorite photos, videos, music and files with at least three friends on their own devices simultaneously. Wi-Drive has the ability to stay connected to the Internet while accessing and sharing your content (2). With Wi-Drive you can store more of what you need and do more with the Apple device you love. View the podcast via iTunes by searching Wi-Drive.
- Multitasking – run other Apps while using Wi-Drive features.
- Enhanced File Management - Music, Photos and Videos file sorting
- Camera Roll Support -move photos from device to Wi-Drive
- Enhanced Music Player
- Playback controls (prev/play/next/shuffle/repeat)
- Album art (ID3) display
- Enhanced Photo Features
- Thumbnail and slideshow display
- Finger swipe capabilities
- Additional Network Setting - select Wi-Fi channel
- Local Storage - wirelessly transfer files to and from the Wi-Drive app
- Open In - copy and open documents (3) in other Apps.
- Email – email files up to 10MB
- Delete – delete files wirelessly
- If you do have DRM content purchased through iTunes, you can access the file via your Safari Browser. Simply open Safari, enter the IP address of Wi-Drive into the URL box, which is 192.168.200.254 and press Enter (4).
- AirPlay support for music and video. (5)
The Wi-Drive application is optimized for iOS 6 and will not work properly in iOS 7 and iOS 8. Unfortunately, the app will not be updated to address the issues. Please contact Kingston Technical Support for details.
(1) Requires use with Kingston Wi-Drive hardware.
(2) Requires service, 3G not supported.
(3) Open In feature only works with Documents.
(4) Not all of the functions and features that are found in the application will work within the Browser and sharing may be limited to devices that are synched with iTunes. Rental Content is not supported.
(5) Requires an AirPlay compatible device.
What's New in Version 184.108.40.206
-New user interface for the Wi-Drive app
Buyers of widrive beware
I bought the widrive with the intention of using it for backing up photos from my iPad when on photo assignments.
I use the iPad to review my shots and then wanted a method of backing up the images I wanted to keep. There seemed a good deal of confusion in articles on the internet whether this would work so I called Kingston technology and they confirmed that the device would do the job.
It turns out this is inaccurate since I have an original iPad and can state categorically that this will not work with that device even though the iOS version exceeds the minimum requirements for the app.
I therefore think that the minimum spec for this app should state iPad 2 and above.
The fact that I have no camera on my iPad means that I do not have the necessary file structure that is called camera roll.
Since I don't have this facility I cannot comment as to whether photos downloaded into the iPad via the SD card reader can be placed in camera roll.
If not then you are left with a very poor situation in that only images recorded by the iPad's cameras are eligible for transfer and storing on the widrive.
All very unsatisfactory from my perspective and I will now be heading off to arrange return of the widrive for a full refund.
I can't believe that there is not a generic backup system for the iPad.
I primarily use this for taking media files with me when going away from home. It has compatibility with some file types but not the majority. An update to include more such as mvk would be good.
Bought this item does not connect to my ipad it is now an expensive coaster
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: 19 July 2013
- Version: 220.127.116.11
- Size: 17.0 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Developer: Kingston Digital, Inc.
- © Kingston Digital, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.