PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING :
THIS APP DOES NOT RUN IN THE SANDBOX!!!
PLEASE CHECK OUT WINONX 2 FOR MORE SECURITY.
Run your Windows applications on OSX without the need of buying a Windows license. Well, you even do not need to install Windows. Just download WinOnX and you are ready to go within 2 minutes.
- WinOnX should only be used for applications which are not available for OSX. Whenever an application is available for OSX, we strongly recommend to use this version.
- You can look at http://www.winonx.com/compatibility/ to get some information how good your application might work with WinOnX which is an ongoing project. In case your Windows application does not work at the moment, there is a good chance that it will work after one of the next updates.
- In case your application does not work with WinOnX please drop us a note at http://winonx.com/feedback. We always try to improve the quality based upon your feedback.
- WinOnX is based on the open source Wine project. It is a layer which redirects the communication between an application and Windows to OSX. As a result not all applications are fully compatible. Most applications run fine, some run even faster but also some run slower or even crash.
- Update to Wine 1.8
- Sandbox warning
New In Version 1.6:
- Fixes for Yosemite
New In Version 1.5:
- Fixed compatibility bugs related to OS-X 10.7.5 and 10.8.2
- Fixed a bug which caused problems during secure authentication
- Updated to Wine 1.4.1
New In Version 1.4:
With WinOnX 1.4, you can now install as many Virtual Machines (VM) as you like. This has the following advantages:
- You can install programs completely separate from each other.
- Programs can be launched with different system settings.
- Instead of deinstalling programs, you can just delete the appropriate VM.
Furthermore, a lot of bugs especially related to keyboard entries and the installation process of new programs were fixed.
New In Version 1.3:
- Added "File" menu for native OSX support to create multiple windows and open files
- Update to 'Wine 1.4'
- Improved 'Support Center'
- Several bug fixes
New In Version 1.2:
- WinOnX Support Center for automatic problem analysis
- Programs are started with a double click of the mouse
- Several languages are supported within the program
- Better support for multiple printers
- Improvement of full-screen view
- Crashes are kept under better surveillance
- Log files for every program
- Many minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
DOES NOT WORK ON HIGH SIERA
needs an update to work at the latest Mac OS . Don’t buy it it doesnt work … Hopefuly they will release an update ...
I wanted to run my Open University disc without using a seperate laptop or messing about partitioning hard drives!! I looked at several options but they all seemed complicated compared to this so I was a little sceptical especially given some of the comments and reviews.
I thought well id only be loosing a couple of quid so worth a go to save lots of hassle. Well can honestly say ive been using it for about 15 minutes and its brilliant!! Took about 5 minutes to install then just inserted my disc and ran the .exe file. At first it said this isnt recognised so I thought here goes waste of time effort and money but it was actually just a send details to the developer. Still thought ill click ok and nothing will happen so back to the original idea of running my old laptop alongside. I was wrong!! Clicked ok and away we went.
The menu system for the disc popped up and I thought great we are sorted. The not recognised message came up again and again I clicked ok and so far the disc is working perfectly. I havent tried anything else but to be fair this is the only disc im interested in as I really need the information on it for an upcoming assignment.
So if you want a quick cheap and easy solution try this first. It does clearly state that this app isnt compatible with everything so be aware of that before you start and just try it, like me you might not be disappointed!!
WinOnx is Flawed because WINE is Flawed
In a nutshell WinOnX is flawed because it runs on a technology that I've always found in the past to be flawed, and that software is WINE (which is the back end to WinOnX). WINE has never ran anything complicated for me in the past, if you just want to run something really simple like notepad or putty then it'll be fine, however if you want to run something like Internet Explorer 9 then forget it. I tried WinOnX with a few different applications, and as predicted simple apps like Putty ran, and IE didn't which is really what I want to run (It's not through choice, believe me, if I could stick with Safari I would but there are some sites I use which are strictly IE only). Anyway the upshot is WinOnX/WINE if a poor work around and you'll have no end of disappointment getting anything useful to run on it. If you wanna run Windows apps then you'd be better off going with a virtualisation option like Parallels or use something like Boot Camp. If WinOnX ever lets me run a recent version of IE well then I'll take it all back, until that day I stand by what I've said here.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.