Use your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad as a throttle for model railroad control!
**PLEASE NOTE** This App is not a stand-alone product! Other hardware and software are required.
Link to the popular JMRI software through a local Wi-Fi network to access throttle, address, and function controls wirelessly.
Connect directly to an MRC Prodigy WiFi module.
Connect directly to a Digitrax LnWi module.
Digital Command Control (DCC) is now the most common control method for earnest model railroaders, allowing multiple trains to be controlled simultaneously anywhere on the track. JMRI is an interface program that works with most brands of DCC and is very popular because it simplifies DCC programming, signaling, control, and many other aspects of running a permanent layout. It is also free and multi-platform.
Instead of direct control through the DCC system, WiThrottle links with JMRI. This provides a universal interface to many possible combinations of technology and model railroads. As DCC evolves, JMRI is updated as needed to match current technology.
- JMRI 2.8 or higher, JMRI 4.6 or newer recommended
- DCC system interfaced to a computer and a model railroad
- Local Wi-Fi network
MRC Prodigy WiFi Requirements:
- MRC Prodigy WiFi module
- MRC Prodigy DCC system
Digitrax LnWi Requirements:
- Digitrax LnWi module
- Digitrax DCC system
If you operate at either a club or private home that uses JMRI for operations and has Wi-Fi, access to the local network (host may need to share their password) is all you need. Multiple iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad mobile devices may use their own WiThrottle simultaneously during an operating session. If you would like to sample WiThrottle, we offer a Lite version at no charge. This allows you to confirm compatibility before buying the full App.
Please visit our website for additional information. Our goal is to enhance your model railroading experience by providing convenient, wireless control of your existing system. WiThrottle is the final piece of the puzzle.
- Select road or yard throttle control arrangements
- Dual throttle screen
- F0 - F28 function controls
- Build and break advanced consists
- Link multiple addresses for control by one throttle
- Control JMRI routes & turnouts
- Imports roster list and function labels from your JMRI files
- Access the JMRI WebServer for control panels and more
- Adjust sensitivity of the throttle slider
- Set for right or left hand use
- Acquire and dispatch addresses wirelessly
- Train idles if interrupted (e.g. phone call)
- Control track power
- Fastclock display
- Automatic networking
- Flashlight for devices equipped with camera flash
WiThrottle will integrate seamlessly if:
- you can already control a train using the built-in throttles of JMRI 2.8 or later
- your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad can access your local wireless network (not cellular or Bluetooth)
- Added ability to enter a turnout number for control.
- Automatic connection to Digitrax LnWi
Ratings and Reviews
A brilliant app to control ones trains in collaboration with JMRI software. I personally would like to see the torch icon on top of the screen above the directional indicators, and perhaps the ability to change certain CV values in operations mode such as CV 29 to enable the user defined speed table for example. That said by also using my iPad with the Web Server I can also change by touch my turnouts and signals from a track diagram, or use the routes screen. Truly amazing and more importantly wire free. Highly recommended.
This is the first time I have felt that I ought to review an App.
I am very pleased, Wi Throttle does exactly what is says in the preview.
I can now control my trains and turnouts from my iPad.
Certain aspects of how to set up Wi Throttle wasn't immediately obvious. The use of the term "web" fooled me. This is a local web not necessarily connected to the Internet. I emailed their help people and received a reply over night (I'm in England).
Very pleased indeed.
I have seen this app tonight running two different N gauge locomotives at different times and it appeared to work seamlessly each time. Computer controlling the layout was using JMRI program and loco controlled by an iPod touch through WiFi network. Easy use of function buttons (28) to control lights and other Functions. Not sure that many will need to use all 28, still who knows what will come to pass. Well worth the price
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.