- UK Voice included! -
Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 184 built-in word lists (about 1800 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' for iPad and iPhone, and in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (60K units sold to schools)
• More than 240K Units downloaded !
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• 4 keyboards available: letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or less letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed and tone) for added fun
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 184 built-in word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children."
Editor's Choice - "This is the perfect app for any child who is learning how to read, or to supplement advanced vocabulary lessons through fifth grade."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
Please send any suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We listen to our users to improve our products.
• Assign images to words easily using the new image browser that search for royalty free images on the web for you
• New button to assign images to words directly from a word list
• “Export Word Lists” now allows to include the images assigned to words, and to select only the lists you want to export
• New Setting to define the number of words per list when importing from a text file
As usual, please send us your feedback so we can make the app even better. Thanks!
Ratings and Reviews
Takes the stress out of learning spellings!
I bought is app last week to try and encourage my 8 year old with his spellings. I usually have a real battle as he appears to be a little dyslexic and gets very worked up and frustrated at having to write anything or learn his weekly spellings...until now!
I love the fact that you can add your own word lists, so I can enter the words my children need to learn each week for school. My son also wrote his holiday journal without any fuss as he was able to use the moving alphabet to self-check tricky words. This freed me up to continue cooking the tea and gave him much more independence and confidence.
I did have a couple of queries regarding some pronunciation but after sending an email I got an almost immediate response with some suggestions and helpful hints. It's very refreshing to find an app where the creators take time to offer advice and respond to feedback.
I would definitely recommend this app to anyone with children!
Fantastic, for kids, special educational needs.
Word wizard works really well, just drag the letters onto the board and it blends the sounds as you add the letters. Really great for using with young kids or those with certain special educational needs.
I would like to see the ability to drag some letters onto the board then hide the keyboard and just play with a selected set of letters. It would make it easier to focus on some spellings and activities.
So thanks for this application it is beyond what I expected and I hope this idea can be added as new feature in the future.
Had lots of fun with this one
My whole family loves this app. We enjoyed using it to play with words and zip different sounds in and out. The kids also enjoyed being able to create a sentence and then give it a spooky voice (you can change the speed and tone of the voice and its accent). They then left it at various locations round the house to spook people. Lots of laughter and learning going on here. I can see it being useful whenever we want to discuss how a word is spelt for just talking through the sounds.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.