Word Wizard - Kids learn to spell with talking alphabets, spelling tests & fun phonics games
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 184 built-in word lists (about 1800 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• UK Voice included
• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' for iPad and iPhone, and in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (60K units sold to schools)
• More than 240K Units downloaded !
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• 4 keyboards available: letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or less letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed and tone) for added fun
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 184 built-in word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children."
Editor's Choice - "This is the perfect app for any child who is learning how to read, or to supplement advanced vocabulary lessons through fifth grade."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
Please send any suggestions to email@example.com. We listen to our users to improve our products.
What's New in Version 4.1
-Export and import your word lists via iCloud Drive, Box, DropBox, Google Drive,..
-Student Reports are now in PDF and can be directly printed, emailed or sent to others apps
-Bugs fixes ( user removal, scrambled letters activity)
Excellent app for simple communication
This is a very useful app for teaching and learning words and simple phrases. My three year old grandaughter who is learning to read and write can chat with her uncle who is profoundly deaf, he can not speak or hear the app but can read and write to her and she can pick up on the voices.
She is also using to to talk! to her dolls and other toys, and more recently with her friends.
The keyboard and display can be varied as required ie qwerty, Alphabetic, upper or lower case and mixed.
Well worth the money in fact a bargain even at a higher price. What looked like an interesting gimmick has turned out to be a valuable tool for teaching. It is refreshing that it is not laden with exhortations to spend money on neccessary improvements.
As it stands it is probably the best app I have bought so far and the developers are to be congratulated and thanked.
Possible improvements would be the addition of numbers .
If the app vould be linked with itunes or similar to display with apple tv on larger screen it would be a great bonus for more than two people to use at same time
Added comment 31st october 2012
The app has been upgraded now with numbers and a new male voice, and is even better than before.
The includion of simple arithmetic would be a bonus particularly since the numbers are clearly pronounced.
A possible improvement would be the includion af a child or juvenile voice, preferably uk standard english
Added comment may 2015
This app has been improved so that it no longer can be updated on my grandaughters ipad. Since the ipad is first generation it is not vompatible with ios 7 or later. This is very disappointing since a later ipad is too expensive.
While the original app still works she is upset that it is not the same as her friends version, and at five and a half years old summed up the the latest change as the work of a silly man. I mudt admit I have to agree with her.
- Category: Education
- Updated: 07 May 2015
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 382 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch
- Developer: pierre abel
- © L'Escapadou 2011-2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.