WorkOutDoors is the only workout app for the Apple Watch that displays a detailed vector map whilst you exercise. It is also the most configurable workout app, with over 160 live metrics, graphs and buttons that can be displayed in many different screen layouts. It's perfect for running, mountain biking, hiking, skiing, geocaching and much more.
The map is drawn using vectors, which means that it can be smoothly zoomed, panned or rotated, just like maps on the iPhone. The data comes from OpenStreetMap, which includes paths, tracks, cycle trails and much more.
Maps can be stored on the Watch for use when you don't have your iPhone or cannot get a data signal. And the price includes maps for the whole world. No further purchases or subscriptions are required!
The iPhone app provides detailed analysis of workouts; exporting of workouts; configuration of watch screen layouts; importing of GPX routes; and the ability to control the map areas that are stored offline on your Watch.
Workouts performed using the WorkOutDoors watch app can also be inspected on the iPhone by using Apple's Health and Activity apps.
WorkOutDoors includes many useful map and workout-related features:
- automatic map rotation according to your direction of motion;
- a breadcrumb trail of your route;
- the map can be panned with your finger, and zoomed with the digital crown;
- a circular scale appears when zooming in or out;
- "map-only mode" shows the map without starting a workout;
- GPX routes can be imported and displayed on the map;
- routes are coloured in varying shades of purple: red for uphill; blue for downhill;
- routes can be drawn 'hollow' to show underlying trails;
- POIs and route waypoints can be tapped for more details;
- double tap for a full screen map;
- many different screen layouts and text sizes;
- configure multiple data screens and cycle through them by triple-tapping the display;
- configure what metrics are shown on each screen from a pool of over 160 live metrics;
- manual or automatic laps (e.g. every mile or km);
- summary information, including lap splits, can be shown at any time during the workout;
- splits available for pace, distance, time, heart rate, calories, elevation and steps;
- interval alerts for distances (e.g. every mile), times, steps, calories, ascent and descent;
- limit alerts for heart rates, pace, speed and cadence;
- configurable heart rate zones with dozens of zone-related metrics and graphs;
- configurable target pace/speed with fields such as distance vs target and time vs target;
- target can be shown as a live icon on the map to show how far ahead or behind you are;
- 3 individually configurable rolling pace fields (e.g last mile, last minute etc);
- 16 different activity types;
- multiple types of graphical data fields: historical graphs, bar charts, trail maps and more;
- button fields provide shortcuts for any operation or to quickly show any settings screen;
- workouts can be exported as GPX files for use in other apps and websites;
- works even without an iPhone on watches with GPS;
- compass pointing north (which also acts as a button to control rotation);
- "start compass" pointing to your start location (tap it for distance to start);
- GPS signal strength indicator (tap it to see accuracy in metres);
- Battery level indicator;
- Geocache GPX files can be loaded (tap a cache for full groundspeak data);
If you own an Apple Watch and enjoy running, cycling, hiking, skiing, or any other outdoor exercise, then WorkOutDoors is the app for you. Give it a go!
This is a major new version with loads of great new features including:
- Several new screen layouts (with and without maps);
- Ability to cycle through data screens during the workout by triple-tapping display;
- Complete control of which metrics appear on each screen;
- Over 160 available metrics, including mini-graphs and buttons;
- Configurable alerts when values exceed user defined limits (e.g. heartrate, pace, speed, cadence);
- Configurable interval notifications (e.g. distance, time, steps, calories, ascent, descent etc);
- Limits and notifications can use haptics and/or voice feedback;
- Enhanced workout analysis on both the iPhone and watch;
- Automatic and Manual laps;
- Analysis of lap splits on Watch available during and after a workout;
- Lap Splits available for multiple metrics: time, distance, pace, speed, heart, cadence, calories, elevation etc;
- Improved maps on the iPhone to match the dark theme of the app;
- Configurable heart rate zones;
- Target Pace metrics: distance and/or time ahead or behind target;
- Target Pace icon shown on map;
- Rolling Pace fields with configurable intervals (e.g. 1 mile or 1 minute);
- Completely restructured Settings screen on the watch, with loads of new parameters;
- Geocaching "groundspeak" information now displayed (including type, size, difficulty, descriptions, hint & log);
- New screen showing nearest waypoints in GPX file (useful for Geocaching);
- App now remembers if "auto-rotate" was on before and switches it on when possible for next workout;
- Ability to configure what operations are invoked by the side buttons and screen taps;
- Several new activity types: Paddle Sports, Surfing, XC Skiing, Golf and Skating;
- Sailing workouts now use nautical miles and knots;
- Ability to lock screen to avoid accidental use;
- New on-screen battery level indicator;
Ratings and Reviews
Love this app! In fact it’s now my favourite watch app! It amazes me that Apple, Google etc have not done this. So well done to the developer of this app for getting it sorted! The mapping is spot on. Perfect for when you are out on a run, bike or walk. I love that it has footpaths and leaves breadcrumb trails so you can go off exploring without getting lost. It also has an arrow that points back to your starting point. Very cool for those days when you get lost in the woods! The fact that you can upload maps is also brilliant. Often out in the wild, the signal is rubbish, so this feature is game changing and a must! The data collection is fantastic also and auto syncs with other apps and the Apple HealthKit/Activity app. For those like me who like to see what they have achieved, this syncing is a massive bonus. If you are after a mapping app for your watch, this is it!!! Love it!
Having tried every running app out there (and I mean every), this one is the best. Clearly focused on the watch it’s very easy to use and quick to sync. The routes of runs on the phone are very accurate and detailed giving all the relevant info. All I’d ask is more flexibility on what you can display on the phone when running as the distance/time info under the map is a little small and I’d love to be able to personalise this and include pace for example.
Keep up the good work 👍🏻
Best app for Apple Watch
Only app that I have found that shows GPS strength before and during a workout. Only way I can make sure the workout is tracked properly. The added map view just make it amazing for running and hiking. Main requests would be a pace field, spoken milestones each mile, as well as some way of seeing what tiles have been downloaded to the watch.
- Ian Muriss
- 7.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Computer Client Services Ltd
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.