Arran Coastal Way
This book can be downloaded and read in Apple Books on your Mac or iOS device.
Based on a full-colour rucksack-friendly printed guidebook, this fixed-format ebook respects the original page layouts, while also enabling instant cross-references, searchable text and (if the user is online) web links.
The Arran Coastal Way is one of Scotland’s Great Trails, and perhaps the finest circuit walk in the country. It runs for 65 miles (105 km) around the Isle of Arran in a memorable week-long hike from Brodick. It’s accessible from near Glasgow by the Ardrossan ferry. Famous as`Scotland in miniature’, Arran is rich in scenery, castles, caves and standing stones. The walking is varied, from mountain paths to deserted beaches, from minor road-walking to boulder-hopping, and in places it is refreshingly rugged. Arran’s wildlife is uniquely approachable, and its residents welcoming.
A Coastal Communities Fund project created many miles of new and improved path with fresh waymarking, leading to this fully revised second edition. Based on three research trips in 2017, the text and photographs were thoroughly updated to cover many route changes and extra options. This guidebook contains all you need to plan and enjoy the Arran Coastal Way, including:
• detailed description of the route walked anticlockwise
• background on geology, pre-history and history
• whisky-making, wildlife and habitats
• boat trip to the Holy Isle
• Foreword by wilderness walker Cameron McNeish
• new mapping of the entire route (1:55,000)
• information about public transport and travel
• lavishly illustrated, with 125 colour photographs.
"The perfect companion to a fascinating route" - Outdoor Focus magazine