Coffee Break German Study Pack 1
Learn German in your Coffee Break
Mark Pentleton and Others
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Multi-touch books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Books with interactive features may work best on an iOS device. iBooks on your Mac requires OS X 10.9 or later.
Coffee Break German helps you learn German using our tried and tested method which combines audio, video and text materials in a structured approach.
Based on the hugely popular online course, this study pack offers the video flashcards for lessons 1-5, combining the audio materials with flashcards which allow the learner to see how the words are written. Each lesson comes with several pages of notes, additional vocabulary and bonus listening materials.
Coffee Break German is presented by German native speaker Thomas who is teaching learner Mark to communicate in German. Mark is an experienced language teacher himself and is the presenter of Coffee Break French and Spanish, but this time the tables are turned and he is learning German with Thomas. Thomas and Mark are also joined by our Cultural Correspondent, Julia, who brings cultural insight to each lesson, and our Grammar Guru, Kirsten, who helps Mark and the learners understand the patterns of the language.
This particular volume covers the following topics:
Lesson 1: Hallo, wie geht's?
- Learning how to greet people in German; the words for "yes" and "no"; asking the question "how are you?" and learning suitable replies.
Lesson 2: Guten Tag. Wie heißen Sie?
- Greeting people at different times of the day; asking "what is your name?" and answering the question; an introduction to the formal and informal versions of "you" in German; an outline of where German is spoken.
Lesson 3: Ich komme aus Deutschland. Und Sie?
- Talking about where you're from; asking other people where they are from in both the formal and informal form; the names of some countries in German; greetings from different parts of the German-speaking world.
Lesson 4: Ich komme aus Österreich, aber jetzt wohne ich in München
- Making sentences negative using the word "nicht"; the patterns associated with verbs; the verb "wohnen", meaning "to live"; an introduction to word order; how Karneval is celebrated in Cologne.
Lesson 5: Das ist meine Schwester. Sie heißt Julia
- Talking about members of your family; an introduction to gender in German; the word for "the" and how it changes for different genders; giving names for other people using "er heißt…" and "sie heißt…"
This book is part of a series of eight study packs for the full introductory course of Coffee Break German. The course is being published from January 2013 and as the end of each unit is reached, the subsequent books will be released.
What's New in Version 1.1
Updated links and design elements.
Coffee Break German
I have really enjoyed CBG so far (I'm on lesson 16 at the moment). The conversational style of the podcasts is really easy to follow and the support materials (you have to sign up to the 'Premium' version to get the full works) are clear and useful. Learning is related to real-life situations that one is likely to encounter when visiting a German-speaking country and is, therefore, very practical. Having a 'Grammar Guru' and a 'Cultural Correspondent' involved in the sessions is a nice touch. The former provides clear guidance and tips to enable students to pick their way through the potential minefield that is German grammar while the latter gives helpful insights into everyday life in German-speaking countries. I find the session notes very helpful as a reminder and these study packs bring five episodes together in one place.
Have wanted to learn German some time.
This has really helped me, starting from complete basics and building up to some good vocab-building lessons.
Excellent companion to the series
The books are a good companion to the excellent series unfortunately these only cover a small part of the course. It would be nice if the entire course was covered with the bonus material. That said I have learned a useful amount of German in a very short space of time.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Foreign Languages
- Published: 27 March 2013
- Publisher: Radio Lingua Ltd
- Print Length: 75 Pages
- Language: English
- Version: 1.1